New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

switcher awwaiting ibook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bengalibynature

im anxiously awaiting my ibook thats on order...anything i should look out for right away...i heard some have a dead pixel problem....

also is installing VP7 a good idea or should i jus let go of my pc apps. Maybe i should jus get all my software in MAC format. so much to let goo of tho..

anyway...im also awaiting my ipod shuffle...seems pretty cool cuz im always on the go and i dont get much of a chance to fiddle with the song thats playing...but it says itll ship on or before march 9th...anyone else get an outlandish date like that?...did they send it early?

signed confused
switcher looking for answers
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

vpc really sucks and causes problems and is slow. let go of your pc apps. on mac os x, theres usually an app thatll do the same thing, most of the time itll do it better or faster.
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

Quote:
i heard some have a dead pixel problem....
i havnt heard of this problem in a good while

congrats on your purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

no probs, i have the 12" model and i've used it every single day since i got it. awesome. i just recently looked at the old Powerbook 12" but told myself to be happy with what I have. Besides the specs of the old PB aren't that great compared to the iBooks so... I guess I wish i had a larger HDD and a superdrive but aw well...

you will be happy once you get it
QUOTE Thanks
MactotheMax

MactotheMax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
vpc really sucks and causes problems and is slow. let go of your pc apps. on mac os x, theres usually an app thatll do the same thing, most of the time itll do it better or faster.
Wow, I just love when folks make such blanket comments. For the original poster, it really depends on what apps youre going to run on VPC. For instance, I purchased an iBook a week and 1/2 ago. I bought VPC since there is no Mac equivalent to the Bible software that I use. I also play online chess and find the Mac programs that allow you to do this to 'look' just horrid. So I use VPC 7 (Windows 2000 version) on my iBook and it runs flawlessly for these two applications. I do find it a bit slow on start up but once its started it runs just peachy. (Note: It doesnt start up any slower than a normal PC starting up or coming from sleep mode)

I will agree, that if you can find an OS X native app (that will do the same things your windows app does), it will of course be better. But thats not always the case.

My2Cents
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I'm with the other posters who say that you should go as native as possible with OSX apps. I switched to a Mac a few weeks ago after 15+ years on a PC, and it's been surprisingly easy. I've only found a couple of very minor PC apps that I haven't found equivalents for (yet) on the Mac.

Virtual PC is okay, and I view it as a small fix while all my major stuff is in native OSX apps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about battery | Powerbook Display not as crisp as others... »