New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Powerbook Display not as crisp as others...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MichaelSullivan

So I'm standing on the edge of purchasing a new 15" powerbook, and one last caveat is in my way: the display. Will Apple ever introduce display technology better than conventional LCD?

Apple features conventional LCD
Sony models feature LCD with x-brite technology
HP/ Compac feature LCD with Brightview
Toshiba models feature TruBrite

This flash file demonstrates Sony's x-brite technology pretty well, but in short its two sources for lighting plus a display filter that looks like a sheet of glass in front of the LCD display. Conventional LCD has one source for output, and no filters between the LCD screen and your eyes. http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...XBRITE_V51.swf

What the difference is: Sharper contrast, brighter colors, whiter whites, blacker blacks. Sure, the powerbook display is good compared to any laptop with a conventional lcd screen, but compare it to a monitor/ x-brite/ briteview screen and you'll see the difference immediately. Play a DVD on each system for even more proof.

I sat in the computer store and ajusted the brighness/ contrast settings of a 15" G4 to no avail. I used the advanced calibration, but still couldn't get it even close to x-brite/briteview. I've been working on a Sony Vaio for the last five years and I'd hate to purchase a superior laptop (mac g4) with an inferior display (conventional LCD).

Any word on Apple upgrading the display technology to match its competitors?

(Yes, I know I'm going to get comments like: "conventional LCD looks fine", "It doesn't bother me", "it looks good enough" etc. But, for the price that Apple puts on its laptops, you'd expect more than conventional LCD.)
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

It's not just "good enough", but the best display I've seen. Have you actually stood the Powerbook and the Sony/HP models side by side and compared them?
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan
But, for the price that Apple puts on its laptops, you'd expect more than conventional LCD[/size]
It's not the best LCD you can get, but it is exceptionally high quality. And rest of the features of the Powerbook ain't to shabby for the price now are they?

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
myjay610

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu
It's not the best LCD you can get, but it is exceptionally high quality. And rest of the features of the Powerbook ain't to shabby for the price now are they?
Haha, not shabby at all, my Powerbook smokes most computers I use. With the exception of the personally built desktop's I've seen. Yet.. the powermac will take care of them.. :robot:
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane
It's not just "good enough", but the best display I've seen. Have you actually stood the Powerbook and the Sony/HP models side by side and compared them?
I was ready to purchase the 15" G4 powerbook UNTIL I put it beside a sony vaio with x-brite. That stopped me dead in my tracks, as there is a major difference in quality between conventional LCD and the newer technologies. Then I noticed how many other laptops in the shop had more advanced screen technology.

As I mentioned, compared to other conventional LCD screens, the powerbook's screen looks great. Compared to a screen with x-brite/brightview its not even close to comparable. Simply put, the powerbooks conventional LCD is lagging behind current LCD technology, and is far from 'the best display' out there.

I'm not convinced yet that the price warrants less than the best screen display, especially since they average about $500 more than a similarily configured laptop with x-brite/briteview.
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

I have to admit the xbrite screens are amazingly crisp compared to the powerbooks. I have an 12 inch ibook and i initially thought that the lcd was inferior to comparable windows notebooks. it seemed very dull and not so crisp. however, now that i own it i admit the lcd is A LOT better, sharper and crisper than I thought. I think it has to do with the fact Apple lcd's don't really seem amazing in store lighting. That being said, sony and toshiba's have amazing lcd's but going for a powerbook is based on using the mac os and its software. i also find the graphics and font smoothing look better on a mac than windows. likewise, both choices are excellent.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

PB displays have never impressed me as being amazing, but some of the Sony displays do.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

a friend of mine bought a VAIO from the Sony Co. Store and I hate to say it, the LCD is far superior than the PB's. Bar none. I think the VAIO might out-do a Powerbook in certain aspects as much as that pains me to say. But yeah. X-Brite has amazing clarity.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Geek
...however, now that i own it i admit the lcd is A LOT better, sharper and crisper than I thought. I think it has to do with the fact Apple lcd's don't really seem amazing in store lighting. ...i also find the graphics and font smoothing look better on a mac than windows.

I agree with this. A co-worker of mine recently purchased the 15" G4 1.5ghz, and by itself the display is very acceptible, looking much better than it does in a local Comp USA. I've also heard that the overall graphics rendering on a mac is far superior, hence the photo/ video editing following that Mac has going for it.

I appreciate all the comments.
QUOTE Thanks
Echo_

ya the xbrite technology is crazy.. but u should see the sharp laptops.... even BETTER
QUOTE Thanks
ryanyogan

Doesnt matter how nice the screen looks, your still looking at an old 1993-94 based design that has no graphical taste whatsoever. I use custom built PC desktops and macs. Just looking at the mac, even an alert box makes me smile. I can not say anything on windows XP looks remotly good, not to mention the choppy motion. No it is not my computers either, we are talking trinitron screens with PCI xPress x800 video card in one and a 9800 PRO in the other.. So don't feel down on the screens, they are clear and sharp but they are staring at one ugly os behind it!
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

ryanyogan, I think you may be confused. this isn't a thread on Mac OSX verus wintel anything, or the hardware behind it. This is about the display, and how it appears. And the displays of x-brite/trubright/brightview are much more clean, clear, and crisp than the PB's conventional LCD. That was my point.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Interesting. Well, it's true that Apple seem to lag behind a little on some technology... perhaps because they like to wait and be sure they can do it to their standard. I'm not sure on this, but didn't they only just recently get bluetooth support?

I'm sure we'll see similar displays on time for the G5 Powerbooks.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Oh no.. they've had bluetooth support for a long time
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelSullivan

and I thought that Mac/ Apple was very aggressive in pursuing new technologies... like Bluetooth.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« switcher awwaiting ibook | iBook & External DVD burner??? »