New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

DVD Burner - G4 Powerbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

myjay610

Hi All -

I would like to setup an external DVD burner for my powerbook g4. What I want to do is buy an internal drive and an enclosure and then just build my external that way. Are there only certain drives which work for mac?

I am having a lot of trouble finding information on this - basically I was looking at drives for about $60 - but wasn't sure if they would work on OS/X. The enclosures say it is comptable, however. The brand was Lite On for the drive.

Has anyone done this before? Would I need to get anything else besides the drive and enclosure?

Thanks,
John
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

I used a ViPower USB 2.0 enclosure on the Mac and it was very unreliable (sometimes wouldn't detect it, Toast kept making coasters etc)... yet it works perfectly on the PC. YMMV.
QUOTE Thanks
myjay610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane
I used a ViPower USB 2.0 enclosure on the Mac and it was very unreliable (sometimes wouldn't detect it, Toast kept making coasters etc)... yet it works perfectly on the PC. YMMV.
Really, ****, what about the drive, which drive did you use?
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Drive is a Pioneer DVR103. FWIW I imagine any other drive/enclosure would work, as that's how Macs usually go.. but seems I had less luck on this occasion.
QUOTE Thanks
myjay610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane
Drive is a Pioneer DVR103. FWIW I imagine any other drive/enclosure would work, as that's how Macs usually go.. but seems I had less luck on this occasion.

Cool thanks, I ordered an encloser that is os/x compatable, and the drive didn't list it, but I called tech support and said it would work as long as the enlcosure is.. and the enclosure come w/ the drivers for os/x so... I'll cross my fingers.

Thanks again.

John
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« brand new 12" iBook 1Ghz for $799.99 | iBook drawlings »