New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Truth about hardware problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

georgemichaelto

georgemichaelto is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone;
I am new to Mac, coming from PC background like everyone else. Been dedicated to Vista and just fed up. I always want to make the change but been holding back .
last night i went to Best Buy to get myself some Mac and over come my fear, but then the sales person gave me a really bad feed back about the new MacBooks, saying they have tons of hardware problems. He even pointed that the 3 Macbooks they have on display in the store are actually fried.
He also pointed that heating up is a huge problem with all Mac's computers, generally even the iMac's.
So after that unexpected feedback i end up not buying it and i am seeking some clarifications here. what's the truth in that statements about heat problems and motherboards being fried.
I really want to make the switch, but i am not looking for more problems, enough with what I've had over the years from windows.
The Sales person also recommended extended warranty ($450) for 2 years.

Appreciate all the help
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

I think there was definitely some misinformation there. For one, of course some of the display models are damaged—naturally, they'd use unsellable ones for display since display models tend to get damaged. Also, the motherboard issues (particularly with older iMacs) have pretty much gone away.

It's true that Macs have some hardware problems, but every manufacturer does. The biggest problem at the moment is that Apple's optical drives die a lot.

I would recommend an extended warranty for any laptop unless you're planning on getting rid of it in less than two years. Why is it $450, though? Are you in Canada or Australia where they charge more for AppleCare? Because it should only be $250 or thereabouts for a MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
georgemichaelto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Luigi View Post
I think there was definitely some misinformation there. For one, of course some of the display models are damaged—naturally, they'd use unsellable ones for display since display models tend to get damaged. Also, the motherboard issues (particularly with older iMacs) have pretty much gone away.

It's true that Macs have some hardware problems, but every manufacturer does. The biggest problem at the moment is that Apple's optical drives die a lot.

I would recommend an extended warranty for any laptop unless you're planning on getting rid of it in less than two years. Why is it $450, though? Are you in Canada or Australia where they charge more for AppleCare? Because it should only be $250 or thereabouts for a MacBook.
Canada, I am looking at the Apple MacBook 13.3" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz Laptop $1399.99 and the warranty is
is $399 + Tax that's about 40% of the price, which i find a little too high for a warranty.

the Optical drive dies on all models, general problems or there are models with less problems?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sounds to me like you ran into a MS fanboy at the BestBuy.

Of all the computers I've owned since '81; my first Mac, now two years old rates in the top two systems I've ever owned. And I was no slouch as a old hardcore gamer / hardware enthusiast that built all of my own systems since '95.

Can only recommend not going to a BB to purchase a Mac.

I would also disagree that their optical drives die a lot without some statistical analysis comparing to other brands. Have not seen any more posts related to this issue here than I have at any Windows forums.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

It's entirely anecdotal. And besides, Apple doesn't make the optical drives anyway. They just buy them. They must have bought several bad batches because I've heard a lot of reports from all over. I'll try to list some:

AnandTech - my 2.2Ghz mbp's superdrive is worthless
Apple - Support - Discussions - Imac will not accept DVD's or CD's ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - Superdrive update 2.1 killed my drive. ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - ! Brand New Macbook not burning cds?? ...

Far as I can tell it's an issue with Matsu****a slot-loading drives, which could be in MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac Minis, or iMacs.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

To the OP:

I agree with bobtomay, you ran into an anti Mac salesman at Best Buy. Mac machines have enjoyed top ratings for years - hardware, operating system, and customer support. The latest ratings (which you can skim over in PC Mag, PC World, etc) show the Mac is still number one.

Overheating? That's pure conjecture from the salesman. All notebook computers get warm because of their enclosed design, not just the MacBook.

As for an extended warranty, you quoted the Best Buy warranty price not Apple Care. If you really want to find out if a Mac is for you, go to an Apple Store, speak with the sales folks, play with some machines, ask questions, and then decide.

I've been associated with computers for many years, everything from Big Iron to Little Iron, used them, programmed them, repaired them, etc and I can say without hesitation that Macs are of the best.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Fact 1: Apple has very low margins compared to some manufacturers, so if that salesperson works on commission, it's not necessarily in his interest for you to switch.

Fact 2: The salesperson has doubtlessly been instructed to not let a customer purchase a computer without an extended warranty.

2 reasons for him to fabricate stories about dying Macs.

Here's an interesting report:
MacDailyNews - Apple Mac tops comprehensive computer reliability report by wide margin - again

EDIT: Just to clarify: Apple itself has much higher margins than the industry. But as a 3rd party retailer you don't see much of that.
QUOTE Thanks
georgemichaelto

Thanks folks for your replies, appreciate all the feedback. I know that Mac generally get top reviews and i read many and i find myself in favor of giving it a try. but recently i been running into too many products that are not what they promise to be, so this time i thought to give myself some time to read and hear what other users think and what would they recommend.
QUOTE Thanks
georgemichaelto

Currently I have Acer laptop (core 2 Duo, 1.6GHz) and use a cooling pad with three fans under it to cool it and always runs cool. will that works for Mac as well?

A side from browsing and emailing, i use it to record HD movies (using Hauppauge HD PVR
model 1212 witch is not currently Mac compatible) and back them up to my HP media server for streaming over my network.

Since i am upgrading to Mac and will be leaving the Acer to my wife (it's her idea). So i need to choose the right Mac to get my projects going. is there a HD capture and recorder for Mac? Recommendations are welcome and appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Futch

Futch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemichaelto View Post

Since i am upgrading to Mac and will be leaving the Acer to my wife (it's her idea). So i need to choose the right Mac to get my projects going. is there a HD capture and recorder for Mac? Recommendations are welcome and appreciated.
I do not know of such a program but you can always load windows via bootcamp or virtual machine to run your programs that are native to Mac OS X. I use bootcamp to run a few programs I use that are only for Windows and it is no inconvenience to me.

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Nano 2GB
QUOTE Thanks
georgemichaelto

I live in Ottawa and I checked. There is no Apple store here, the nearest would be in Toronto (4:30 hours driving) so visiting a store or to buy from there is not very attractive, i will look for a local store instead.

on Futureshop.ca web site they advertise a new MacBook "Apple MacBook 13.3" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz Laptop" that to be released Feb 17, 09 for $1149 Canadian. however specs say it is made of white polycarbonate shell, is this an old casing version? couldn't find any info about it on Apple web site. Every other specs is identical to the new Aluminum ones.
QUOTE Thanks
georgemichaelto

Hi Futch;
so boot camp will allow me to install windows programs on Mac, did i get this right? or do i need to install Windows and run those applications on it. The Hauppauge HD PVR is in part hardware and not just software, so will Mac see it while connected or not?

I just read about it and i will need a Windows version to install. still very cool feature.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The leader in the field of TV tuners on the Mac side is ElGato.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
georgemichaelto

Thanks bobtomay for the link
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The leader in the field of TV tuners on the Mac side is ElGato.
*shameless plug*

I hear this other company from Munich also makes a nice tuner...

Plus we've just released a butt-kicking iPhone app so you can remotely schedule recordings, upload them to mobileme and stream them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RE: Formating an Ibook 4 | Macbook battery Break in? »