New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

To buy an ibook or not??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

therealj

Hi guys/gals,

First post here, so please bare with me. I recently sold my compaq x1030us laptop and I'm now in the market for a new one. My use's for the laptop will be very basic, web, email, music, dvd watching and music storage. I want something small and I'm very interested in getting an ibook, but the more I read about them the more I seem to be discouraged. The latest post about the screen warping seems like the final straw for me. Now I've read numerous other boards and I just don't see the consistent reporting of problems with systems like I do on the apple forums. Putting your apple love aside for a minute can you guys honestly tell me that the ibook is a good purchase?
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

People are always quick to complain. What size iBook are you considering? I'm guessing the 12" if you're worried about that issue. You could go for a 14" if it really concerns you that much, as not as many people seem to have that complaint with them.
QUOTE Thanks
therealj

yeah I'm looking at the 12" , I want the 12" for sure. The PB isn't really an option for my needs and also the heat issue. I really like the ibook and everything it offers, just not the problems I've been reading about. Has Apple addressed this issue at all? Waiting a few months doesn't bother me if this problem is going to be fixed
QUOTE Thanks
macman88

macman88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram

i've had the ibook g4 14inch for a little more then a month, there is absolutely no problem with mine. if there is a problem with the 12inch models, apple will defiantly being fixing it, and if there happen to be a problem you'll defiantly be taken care of. is it worth going with a pc for a very small chance of a problem that can easily be fixed?
QUOTE Thanks
therealj

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman88
i've had the ibook g4 14inch for a little more then a month, there is absolutely no problem with mine. if there is a problem with the 12inch models, apple will defiantly being fixing it, and if there happen to be a problem you'll defiantly be taken care of. is it worth going with a pc for a very small chance of a problem that can easily be fixed?

I don't want to go with a pc at all, I really want an ibook. From my understanding in the other thread Apple is not taking care of customers that had this problem, that worries me. Thanks for the input though
QUOTE Thanks
macman88

macman88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram

if you do go with the ibook are you planning on purchasing applecare along with it?
QUOTE Thanks
therealj

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman88
if you do go with the ibook are you planning on purchasing applecare along with it?
probably not, I can't see myself using the same machine for more than 2 years
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well I can't speak for the other iBook owners, but I must say that I've never had a problem with screen warping or anything with my iBook.

You have to remember that you only hear the users that do have problems and as far as I can tell - they seem to be mostly on the minor cosmetic imperfection side.

I would advise you to take a leap of faith on this one - get the iBook, make sure you inspect it on arrival and see how you go.
QUOTE Thanks
PrimeRib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Well I can't speak for the other iBook owners, but I must say that I've never had a problem with screen warping or anything with my iBook.

You have to remember that you only hear the users that do have problems and as far as I can tell - they seem to be mostly on the minor cosmetic imperfection side.

I would advise you to take a leap of faith on this one - get the iBook, make sure you inspect it on arrival and see how you go.
I've read the earlier posts and have to comment about the case warping issues. From what I can tell, the screen warps or "bends" due to stress from opening and closing the ibook (not really a way to prevent THAT) - head to the Apple store, look at the 12' iBook and look at the one single hinge that binds the screen to the case - after opening and closing a few times, you can see "why" the bending issue occurs, and start to realise how to prevent it. If you are the careful conscious type, opening and closing your iBook carefully and without great "oomph" or force, you shoud be able to prevent this issue. However, those without taking this extra special care may eventually find the warping at that bottom hinge.

Here's the bottom line. Does it (screen/case warp) prohibit use of the laptop? No.
Does it prevent the laptop from opening/closing correctly? No.
Is it merely a cosmetic issue? Yes.

After your 1 year warrenty, you're likey going to have scratches and dirt buildup on the case from use - does it really matter when you add a minor screen warp due to excessive use? Not to me. By then, I'll likely have a PB G5.....

-Prime
QUOTE Thanks
therealj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeRib
I've read the earlier posts and have to comment about the case warping issues. From what I can tell, the screen warps or "bends" due to stress from opening and closing the ibook (not really a way to prevent THAT) - head to the Apple store, look at the 12' iBook and look at the one single hinge that binds the screen to the case - after opening and closing a few times, you can see "why" the bending issue occurs, and start to realise how to prevent it. If you are the careful conscious type, opening and closing your iBook carefully and without great "oomph" or force, you shoud be able to prevent this issue. However, those without taking this extra special care may eventually find the warping at that bottom hinge.

Here's the bottom line. Does it (screen/case warp) prohibit use of the laptop? No.
Does it prevent the laptop from opening/closing correctly? No.
Is it merely a cosmetic issue? Yes.

After your 1 year warrenty, you're likey going to have scratches and dirt buildup on the case from use - does it really matter when you add a minor screen warp due to excessive use? Not to me. By then, I'll likely have a PB G5.....

-Prime

Thanks for the reply...I appreciate the help from all of you , I really do. The warping is something that would really annoy me, I'm too anal about my "toys" to look at something like that. Does the powerbook have the same tendancy or is the construction different. The main reason I'm leaning towards the ibook is the price and the fact that I've read the powerbook gets quite hot, I like to sit back and surf the net with my laptop on my "lap"
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I wouldn't recommend using any laptop on your lap if you plan on having children

I used to but the heat is actually quite uncomfortable after more than 30min or so, so I put my iBook on a largish hardback book to use on my lap.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend using any laptop on your lap if you plan on having children
Funny I was going to say the same thing.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
therealj

Well...any centrino based laptop I've used stays quite cool by computer standards, just barely warm. So that's my only basis for comparison. I guess I can always get a cooling pad
QUOTE Thanks
sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4ghz SR, 256m 8600gt, 640gb HD, 3gb RAM

I just got a new ibook g4 1.2 ghz off of Apple's website, and let me tell you, if you buy this laptop you will not have gone wrong! first off, I have been sitting here on my couch in my frat house using our wireless internet for almost an hour and the ibook 1.2ghz is not nearly too warm to hold on my lap, I got a g3 800 mhz 12" for graduation, and it got very warm when using on the lap, so the g4 is quite an improvement. also, it is very small, I just sold my gateway 450 series centrino for this, and I will never go back to gateway after the ibook g4, the ibook is a work of art compared to ugly windows laptops.
QUOTE Thanks
n0r1

Quote:
Note that this is a documented problem for men, but not for women ...

But the book idea is a good one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Opinions on Lacie/G-Drive 160GB FW400 | help. firewire ibook won't power on »