code777
    new 12" vs iBook?
    hey guys, my brother wants to buy my iBook 12" and seeing tax returns are comin back I was thinking of upgrading to the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive. BUT the 14" iBook with Superdrive is still cheaper but comparing the specs, is it worth the extra $200 to get the Powerbook? I am use to the 12" screen and actually like the portability factor so...

thoughts?

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by code777
    hey guys, my brother wants to buy my iBook 12" and seeing tax returns are comin back I was thinking of upgrading to the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive. BUT the 14" iBook with Superdrive is still cheaper but comparing the specs, is it worth the extra $200 to get the Powerbook? I am use to the 12" screen and actually like the portability factor so...

thoughts?
    I had the same dilemma. I'm going with the 12" PowerBook. The reason for this? Faster system bus, higher RPM HDD, double video memory. I also wanted the 512mb in the 14" iBook with 80GB and bluetooth, so the cost for the 2 was about the same. I went to the Apple store and played around with both, decided that the smaller screen was worth the quicker hardware and SMS. That's just me though

jbsengineer
    Quote Originally Posted by code777

thoughts?
    you really want to consider the vram. the video card in the iBook will not be supported by core images in tiger. I've heard it will pry run core images but slowly. Dont get me wrong the iBook will run tiger itself. Just not all the cool effects!

josh

It might run core image. There used ot be a list of supported video cards, but now that list is gone. Nothing about that here :

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coreimage.html

bhanson
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun89
    It might run core image. There used ot be a list of supported video cards, but now that list is gone. Nothing about that here :

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coreimage.html
    I was told be an Apple sales rep that the iBook would support all of Tiger.

myjay610
    Quote Originally Posted by bhanson
    I was told be an Apple sales rep that the iBook would support all of Tiger.
    HAHAAHAHAHAHAAH. They could also tell you it will make you coffee...

Last time I spoke w/ the guys at the "genius bar" in the apple store they couldn't even figure out how to network with a windows box.

They want to make sales - techincal specs isn't what they speak.

Thread Information