New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

new 12" vs iBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

code777

hey guys, my brother wants to buy my iBook 12" and seeing tax returns are comin back I was thinking of upgrading to the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive. BUT the 14" iBook with Superdrive is still cheaper but comparing the specs, is it worth the extra $200 to get the Powerbook? I am use to the 12" screen and actually like the portability factor so...

thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777
hey guys, my brother wants to buy my iBook 12" and seeing tax returns are comin back I was thinking of upgrading to the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive. BUT the 14" iBook with Superdrive is still cheaper but comparing the specs, is it worth the extra $200 to get the Powerbook? I am use to the 12" screen and actually like the portability factor so...

thoughts?
I had the same dilemma. I'm going with the 12" PowerBook. The reason for this? Faster system bus, higher RPM HDD, double video memory. I also wanted the 512mb in the 14" iBook with 80GB and bluetooth, so the cost for the 2 was about the same. I went to the Apple store and played around with both, decided that the smaller screen was worth the quicker hardware and SMS. That's just me though
QUOTE Thanks
jbsengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777

thoughts?
you really want to consider the vram. the video card in the iBook will not be supported by core images in tiger. I've heard it will pry run core images but slowly. Dont get me wrong the iBook will run tiger itself. Just not all the cool effects!

josh
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

It might run core image. There used ot be a list of supported video cards, but now that list is gone. Nothing about that here :

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coreimage.html
QUOTE Thanks
bhanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
It might run core image. There used ot be a list of supported video cards, but now that list is gone. Nothing about that here :

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coreimage.html
I was told be an Apple sales rep that the iBook would support all of Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
myjay610

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanson
I was told be an Apple sales rep that the iBook would support all of Tiger.
HAHAAHAHAHAHAAH. They could also tell you it will make you coffee...

Last time I spoke w/ the guys at the "genius bar" in the apple store they couldn't even figure out how to network with a windows box.

They want to make sales - techincal specs isn't what they speak.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone receive a 12" powerbook yet? | Gmail anyone?? »