New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook & External DVD burner???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

code777

Ok guys, I have a movie edited on iMovie that I need to burn. My friend has a 15" powerbook with super so I can try to transfer the project to his powerbook but I am unsure how to do this.

OR

I can just get a external DVD burner and do everything from my "poor" iBook. But which DVD burner should I get? I was looking at this one:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.11.1.0.6.12

but being a novice i have no idea what i need once i buy it! Like will burned DVDs play on ANY DVD player???? iDVD is not compatible correct???

Thanks for any advice guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

which dvd burner? that link has a whole list. you could connect your ibook to the pbook via ethernet cable and transfer it that way, or you could burn it on a disc and do it that way. Id suggest buying an external dvd burner for yourself and burning it on your mac. burned dvds wont play on all players, the dvd player has to be able to play dvd r/rw of some sort, if not, it wont play.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

its the LaCie 16x d2 DVD+/-RW Double Layer Drive

Hmmmm, not all DVD players huh. Oh well. Anyway what about the above DVD burner? Looks like it comes with TOAST but is this similar to iDVD? Also how much footage can you get on a DVD today? 120mins only? Thanks for the answers!
QUOTE Thanks
code777

BTW - when you say burn my iMovie project to cd the project is about 11GB worth so... I tried transfering the project to my iPod and it did not work (in another thread). All it did was move an empty folder to my iPod. Sorry I'm so slow at this but its all new to me, heheheeh

also can someone explain how this DVD burner works? Not sure i understand what "double layer" is and when they say capacity = 4.7GB/8.5GB* ??
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can get more data on a dual layer DVD (8.5GBs), whereas a single layer disk you get about 4.7GBs. Most movies coming out of Hollywood are on dual layer disks.

As for a DVD burner, I would get one from LaCie. The one I have shows up as a pioneer drive. I am currently looking at the dual layer LaCie drive, just have not decided on when I am going to purchase it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I have a dual layer lacie dvd burner. it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

i see, so how many minutes of video can i burn on a DVD? Like 2hrs or more? Right now I have a 1hr movie file ready to be moved onto a DVD but I got no burner... hence my interest in buying the Lacie.

I'm also curious how easy it is to burn DVDs with the Lacie. Like if i download the hack so that i can use iDVD will it be easy to burn????
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I curently use the iDVD hack and a LaCie DVD burner. Both works well for may needs.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
code777

cool.

what about after your burn the movie to DVD - will i be able to delete the movie file off my HDD (to free it up again and create a new project) and burn COPIES of that movie later using the original DVD?

OR i'm thinking i should bite the bullet and buy the Lacie 160GB external hard drive to make life easier when doing these movie projects...yes?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I tend to do just that. I make to copies using iDVD. Then later if I need another copy, I make copy of my stored master.

You will need to remove the old project from the disk if you plan to create and work on other projects.

QUOTE Thanks
code777

but do you have a large HDD to begin with? I'm trying to see if I should just "go for the gold" and buy both the DVD burner and external Hard drive today... be like $400... hmmm.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I am using an external 200GB firewire drive.

I would get the largest firewire drive you can afford.

QUOTE Thanks
code777

oh but how do you use both the dvd burner AND external at the same time? is it the Lacie external HDD with the firewire plugs in the back??
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Both of my my devices (burner and hard disk) have to firewaire ports on them. So that that you can daisy chain them.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I currently also use a LaCie dvd burner with the iDVD hack, no problems so far!

Alternatively you can also use the hack to save your project as a disk image, transfer that to your friends powerbook and have him burn it in toast.

Just in case you don't want to spend all that money straight away.

I also use an external harddrive to archive my film material, but non commercial films can be copied 1:1 fairly easily if you can't get the harddrive right away.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook Display not as crisp as others... | Help with new iBook »