Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is my MacBook dying?
    Last week my macbook fan became extremely loud. Now it is still making the loud noise once every few hours but my MacBook is barely funtional. I can't watch videos, movies, youtube clips, ect. 2 times my computer has completely powered off while trying to watch a movie. It's to the point where it's having trouble playing songs in iTunes. Web browsing works fine as long as nothing else is running. Does anyone know what's going on?

Specs:
    2GHz Intel Core Duo Processor
    2GB RAM
    Leopard

It's probably overheating (either the CPU or GPU). What do you have your MB sitting on? Make sure to allow sufficient air flow.
    iMac G3
    600 MHz
    OS 10.3.9

Hi, thanks for your response. How do i change the MB setting?

Specs:
    MBP 13" mid 2010, 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD
    He's refering to where you have your MB=MacBook placed when using it. Best is to use a laptop stand to ensure sufficient airflow. Your problem could very well be caused by dust being stuck on the heatsink & fan inside your MacBook.

of course, i hate my dyslexia..

but i think that may be my problem. i usually have my macbook on my lap or on my couch and bed. is there a way for me to clean out the dust or do i have to send it to apple to do this? thanks for the replies.

Don't put your MB on your bed. The bedding is soft and will block air flow. It's best to place your MB on a hard surface, like a desk or a table.

Check around the vents and clean any dirt or lint you see with a vacuum cleaner. If you need to clean the lint/dust inside, like around the CPU, then you'll have to take it apart. Sorry I can't help you with that.
    iMac G3
    600 MHz
    OS 10.3.9

Do i Need a New Fan?
    my macbook fan makes this noise x5..

YouTube - Macbook fan problem

i can't watch a movie without it overheating and powering down. do i need a new fan or is there a way to fix my existing fan? thanks for any help.

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Here's what I used to control overheating with my mbp. The site says it works with macbooks as well. Requirements: Mac OS X 10.4 or later, MacBook

Download Fan Control for Mac - Adjusts minimum fan speed on MacBooks. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads

Specs:
    MacBook
    NOTE: Merged crossposts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive
    Is it safe to use a program that will manipulate fan speeds?

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    Is it safe to use a program that will manipulate fan speeds?
    Many people do, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBoi View Post
    my macbook fan makes this noise x5..

YouTube - Macbook fan problem

i can't watch a movie without it overheating and powering down. do i need a new fan or is there a way to fix my existing fan? thanks for any help.
    Sounds like the fan is either clogged or going out. With the locations you've been using it, could be a thread wrapped around the shaft of the fan. Definitely, do not use a fan control program with this fan.

For everyone: The airflow on Mac notebooks is located at the hinge. Using your MB or MBP on your lap, carpet, the bed, etc.; you are blocking the air flow of your machine and you are asking for overheating problems. Have to use it on your bed and can't afford a laptop stand, put a book under it to maintain clearance for air circulation.

In this particular instance I'd recommend looking on ifixit for directions on removing the bottom cover and checking the fan. It's possible with some cleaning it will be all right. Worse case, you'll need to replace the fan.

If you're not comfortable doing this, take it in to have it done. If it were my machine, I wouldn't turn the thing on until that fan was taken care of.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
    ^ Wow. Thats a good amount of detail. Just the necessary stuff.
    Aluminum MacBook Pro 13", AOC 22" Full HD. iPod Touch, HTC Gene. Windows 7 on a dumpster.

Everest, Buddha, Gorkha.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    Many people do, but I still wouldn't recommend it.
    Hmm. Could you please discuss why you wouldn't recommend it? I find my smcFancontrol tool to be an integral part of everyday computing.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by traded View Post
    Hmm. Could you please discuss why you wouldn't recommend it? I find my smcFancontrol tool to be an integral part of everyday computing.
    Because the fans are thermostatically controlled and there is logic built into the OS to kick them on at certain speeds and at certain thresholds. If the built-in management isn't working properly, there's a hardware problem (be it dust clogging vents or bearing wear inside the fan).

So, forcing the fans at a static speed with a program like that essentially second-guesses the engineers that designed your equipment. If the machine isn't working within tolerances, this does nothing to ultimately correct that, it just masks it. And if you're using it just because you like to have the control, you're probably adding additional wear to the fans that wouldn't really be necessary without it.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information