New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

2003 ibook cdrom drive help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matthew1219

I bought a new ibook a few years back (g3 700/128/regular cdrom 20gighd). The hard drive failed about once every two months. about a year ago i just got tired of sending it back and forgot to renew the applecare plan.
later on i tried to fix it myself, i replaced the toshiba 20gig 5krpm drive with a hitachi 40gig 7200 drive. but when i start the computer, the cdrom drive no longer starts. i have checked the connections everything looks as good as can be expected considering how user friendly the hardware end of this ibook is...

i would like to fix this without driving out of town and spending another 150+ having something replaced on an old computer
if this is not possible, is there any way to install osx through ethernet?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ibook & Powerbook bends | What is the difference between 64MB VRAM and 128MB VRAM? »