New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

OKay I have an iBook but here is the thing.............

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sursuciofla

Maybe I shouldn't have been reading the threads because it makes me paranoid, but I have been hearing about the iBook monitor bend(monitor coming loose from the plastic housing). Here is the link to the thread

ibook 12" monitor bend

My iBook is about a week old and this freaks me out. Should I sell my ibook and accessories I bought and buy a 15-inch powerbook? Hopefully I can at least recoupe the $1600(I got memory elsewhere and maxed it out myself and this includes the tax I paid) I shelled out in total(minus accessories) if I do sell it. That means I would pay an extra $400 or $500 for the powerbook.

Any suggestions from you powerbook users or iBook users too? Am I just paranoid or is this valid?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The thing you have to realize is that the amount this actually happens is a small number. When people have problems they post about them on forums. A majority of people who are not having problems don't even go onto forums

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
earlthepearl

They have problems with the hindges on powerbooks.
QUOTE Thanks
jbsengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlthepearl
They have problems with the hindges on powerbooks.
explain please,
QUOTE Thanks
jbsengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sursuciofla
Maybe I shouldn't have been reading the threads because it makes me paranoid, but I have been hearing about the iBook monitor bend(monitor coming loose from the plastic housing). Here is the link to the thread

ibook 12" monitor bend

My iBook is about a week old and this freaks me out. Should I sell my ibook and accessories I bought and buy a 15-inch powerbook? Hopefully I can at least recoupe the $1600(I got memory elsewhere and maxed it out myself and this includes the tax I paid) I shelled out in total(minus accessories) if I do sell it. That means I would pay an extra $400 or $500 for the powerbook.

Any suggestions from you powerbook users or iBook users too? Am I just paranoid or is this valid?

trpnmonkey is right....alot of poeple who notice the prob find a forum to talk about it. i had the bend in the ibook and swapped it out for a powerbook. but the ibook is a strong machine. do you notice it bending now??? i know what exactly causes it... but i'm not sure why some are effected and some not. lower grade of plastic??? dunno.

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer
trpnmonkey is right....alot of poeple who notice the prob find a forum to talk about it. i had the bend in the ibook and swapped it out for a powerbook. but the ibook is a strong machine. do you notice it bending now??? i know what exactly causes it... but i'm not sure why some are effected and some not. lower grade of plastic??? dunno.

Josh

I haven't noticed a bend but I have noticed the stress put on the screen when you open it because of the hinge. And to the other comment about the powerbook hinge by Earlthepearl, I use a powerbook as well and the design as far as the hinges go is almost flawless to me. The screen is thinner but it does seem to absorb the stress when opening it compared to the ibook. The powerbook is just so much easier to open and you don't have to rippling biceps to do it. I am very disappointed in Apple in the respect that I have never has so much stress put on a laptop when opening it up. Other than that I am quite happy so far. The only reason I held out on getting a powerbook right now is that I could use the extra $500 for applications like Quark, Premiere, etc. My brother has had his ibook forever without problems so hopefully I do as well. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

My Aunt has a year old Powerbook and it's showing the bend too, so it's not just Ibooks.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Maybe we should open our iBooks and Powerbooks buy lifting the screen up closer to the hinge. Surely that would lessen the stress on the screen.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu
Maybe we should open our iBooks and Powerbooks buy lifting the screen up closer to the hinge. Surely that would lessen the stress on the screen.
Yeah, I won't worry too much about it. To reply to the comment though, I have tested every which way to open the ibook and it's not lifting the screen it's the hinge itself. Whether you lift it from the top or closer to the bottom the hinge still strains from the same area. Although lifting closer to the hinge may relieve some stress you end up putting more stress in trying to lift it from such a low point, because the hinge is in a spot were it pulls when you lift, no matter where you lift. So in the end you get the same amount of stress on the monitor anyways. Thanks for the replies from everyone though, they somewhat relieve my concerns on this issue.

:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
earltash

earltash is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram

I have been spraying a little silicone on my powerbook hindges and that has helped a lot with opening it without seeing the stress on the hindges. Lube works.
I have now ordered a new iMac g5. Hope I don't have the problems I been hearing about with overheating with that. Maybe i'll put a small fan behind it to keep air circulating? I'll see what the internal; temps are first though.

Apple wake up. Don't act like a windows machine.............
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook g3 won't boot | 512mb or 1.024gb »