New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Needing some help rebooting this thing up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bentleys_n_dram

bentleys_n_dram is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend recently.. Left her computer on during the day and was downloading from some torrent sites. Not specifying if this is the root cause considering she just reformatted and reinstalled OS X tiger.. a couple of days ago. It's been running fine till tonight. When we try to boot up it comes up with the flashing ? Mark. We try the boot cd, during installation comes up with locate the destination and there is no destinations to go to. We try Disk Utilities and her hardrive is no where to be found. Or everything is grayed out. We are up to our ears this is driving us nuts. It doesn't matter what we have to do with saving anything important. If starting from scratch is what we have to do then that's what we will do. We just need some help. I'm hoping no one has encountered this lol but also would appreciate some input or advice. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
superboss

superboss is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" mid 2010, 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD

Try resetting the PRAM and see if it helps detecting the hard drive with Disk Utility:

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
QUOTE Thanks
ao5t

ao5t is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15", nVidia GeForce 9400M, 250GB HD, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM

Or, try holding down the X key when you power on the computer. This will boot you into Mac OS X.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dissapearing Ram | Planning to buy a Macbook but should I go for a Macbook Pro? »