New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - New Mac convert, need help! MBP connects to network, not internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jasonk823

jasonk823 is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I am a new Mac convert. My girlfriend got a MBP about two years ago and it grew on me. I just got a new MBP running 10.5.5. I was all psyched about using it until I ran into a major roadblock...

It won't connect to the internet via WiFi! If I plug directly into the router I connect without issue. Over WiFi I can connect to the network fine. I can access the router and change settings without issue. My MBP responds to pings from other machines on the network. But the internet seems to be off limits. This has happened with multiple routers at multiple locations.

At home I am using a Microsoft router running firmware 1.08.003. It is pretty old - 4+ years. I have NOT upgraded this firmware in years. I have also tried using a stock Westell router that came with a verizon DSL connection.

I have no problems connecting with my girlfriends MBP running 10.4.9. I also have various other windows machines connecting without issue, along will cell phones, printers, etc.

I have searched high and low without finding a working solution. I have already tried creating a new location... I heard that this has worked for some people, but not for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to not have to wipe the machine clean and start fresh. I would also rather not get a new router, as the problem seems to happen across multiple routers.

Thanks in advance for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
cameraman

cameraman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam

I had the same problem you have but not limited to just the Mac, some of the PC's on my network would also not access the internet. Anyway it turned out to be the modem, I turned off the modem and the router for a couple of minutes and turned back on and everything was fine. We have verizon at work and this is a problem there too with 20 some PC's networked.

I would take it back to the Apple Store and see if you can connect to their WiFi network. They may be able to tweek some settings to get you going.

Good luck,Rick
QUOTE Thanks
jasonk823

jasonk823 is on a distinguished road

Rick, thanks for the advice. I just tried rebooting both the modem and the router to no avail. I also reset both to their factory settings - again, no dice.

I'll give your mac store suggestion a try this week - if it doesn't work there then I'll know something must be very wrong!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook randomly turning itself off when on battery?! | Quicktime Panther »