USB 2.0 External HDD
    I have a external 2.5" drive in a usb housing. it's one of the ION drives. anyway. Windows will read it fine, etc. I unallocated all the space and plugged it into the mac. It doesn't pick it up in the disk utility. Any ideas? Is there a 3rd party program i'll have to buy to find usb 2.0 drives...doesn't make sense.. It's supposed to be mac compatible.

btw, the drive shows up in the system profiler as a "USB High-Speed Bus" --> USB2.0 Storage Device

San Antonio, Texas
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    what format is it? if you want it to be mac and pc, format as fat32, and partition due to fat32's size limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    what format is it? if you want it to be mac and pc, format as fat32, and partition due to fat32's size limits.
    i had it at 2 fat32 20gig partitions. disk utility would not pick it up and the system profiler could see it. so i unallocated all the space. still the same thing.

well i found a program that helped me out. i used MACDRIVE. it's a windows application for reading mac drives. it was able to format the drive as APPLE HFS. then the powerbook could read it. so i formatted it as ms-dos in the powerbook disk utility.

strange that when even i formatted it as fat32 in windows the powerbook still didn't read it. anybody experience this???

update.... right after i posted the above i plugged the newly "MS-DOS" formatted drive into my windows. Windows picked it up fine as a FAT32 drive. So i unplugged it and put it in my powerbook. Doesn't read it again. Very strange.

Thread Information