New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Completely new to Mac - Question!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

New2Mac84

New2Mac84 is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm totally new to Mac, and I have a question.
First of all, I tried ordering the 999.99 MacBook from Best Buy and there are completely out, and so are all of the stores around my city, and I can't see traveling hundreds of miles for a computer in the winter, ya know? And they won't ship this certain one for some reason.

Anyways, I went to eBay and bought this kind:
Item Specifics - Apple Laptops
Condition: Used Processor Type: --
Product Family: MacBook Processor Speed (per Core): 1.8 GHz
Screen Size: 13 inch Processor Configuration: --
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger Memory (RAM): --
Primary Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo Hard Drive Capacity: 2 GB

Now, my question is.. My cousin has a new MacBook for college (mine isn't for schooling just yet, I'm a photographer/graphics geek), and she said hers has Leopard on it, which apparently is the new software. Well before I even thought to ask the question, I was the winning bidder (impluse bid?? maybe lol), so I see it's running on Tiger. Now, how slow is this going to be? Here's their description:
For Sale Here is a: Macbook(White) 1.83gHZ 2GB Memory 13" Screen Built-in Web Camera Bluetooth Wireless Extra Software I am selling my computer because I would like to get a Desktop instead. The computer is in EXCELLENT shape. I got it like 9 months ago. I never left my desk once. There are o dents or scratches. No dead pixels. I have never had any issues with it. It's runs very fast and had many cool features. There are some exra features included on the laptop such as some exrta software. I will restore computer to original state so it's cleaned out. Included is the charger, computer and case. Shipping and Handling will be $25 and that's the cost of shipping and the cost of materials used to ship. I ship my items well to ensure safe delivery. Item will be shipped within 3 days of auction ending and payment received. Please do not bid if you don't plan to buy. I took some pictures of the computer and the "About this Mac" screen and some other screens that displayed information about the computer. If you have any other questions or would like more photos, please feel free to ask and I will send more photos to any e-mail address. Thank you and Have a Happy New Year

Basically, am I getting a really old laptop, or is it still pretty 'up to date' with the current Mac additions?

Lesson learned: Ask seller a question before hitting "place bid".
QUOTE Thanks
pantstofry

pantstofry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case

Well, it's not the newest one (v 10.4, whereas Leopard is v 10.5), the brand new one is Snow Leopard (v 10.6), but it will still have the main capabilities, no big changes...really, as far as I know, but I'm not sure what exactly the changes are. I don't think it will be any slower or anything like that.

Adam Z
QUOTE Thanks
New2Mac84

Do I have tlo have Leopard to get Snow Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
recon731

recon731 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB

Snow Leopard is not available yet. When it becomes available you will not need to have Leopard to buy Snow Leopard.

There is nothing wrong with the Macbook you bought, yes it is a little older, but it should be fine, for many uses. One question, how much did you pay for that machine?

Mac4Life (with a PC gaming rig as well)
QUOTE Thanks
New2Mac84

Hi, I paid $577 and some change.

Did I get ripped off? lol (I wouldn't be surprised).
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

I dont think you got ripped off, but I sincerely that it stayed on his desk for 9 months
QUOTE Thanks
New2Mac84

LOL, me too.
Maybe I'm just the weird one who prefers laptops, rather than desktops. LOL.
QUOTE Thanks
recon731

recon731 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB

$577 is a good deal, everything used in my area hovers between 600-700.

Should be a great machine.

Mac4Life (with a PC gaming rig as well)
QUOTE Thanks
New2Mac84

I guess it was $602 with shipping, forgot I had to pay shipping.
I talked with my cousin today and she said it looks good and sounds like it's going to be a great 'first mac'
QUOTE Thanks
brady1027

brady1027 is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac Book with Tiger on it. It is the 2.0 Ghz model and it think the only main difference in yours between the 999 one you originally planned to buy, is the system bus speed. If you look in your information, yours should be 667 while the white mac book would have had 800Mhz. I think you will notice no difference. Assuming the laptop is in good shape, i think you got an ok deal.

MacBook Pro 2.7 GHZ Core i7 4Gb Ram 500 GB Hard Drive
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Region free? | clamshell mode getting funky.. »