New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 2006- fried memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SeanMcG

SeanMcG is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Recently tried to replace one of my 1gb sticks in my 2006 Macbook Pro with a 2 gb stick. Somehow, I managed to fry the ram as well as the memory board. Whenever I booted up, the light would flicker at a speed of once per second, and the screen was blank. However, when I took it to the genius bar, they said something was wrong as well. When they replaced the ram, the light wouldnt flicker but the screen was still black (well i'm never buying 3rd party ram from OWC again...). He said the power source to the memory board might me damaged, or I could have somehow fried the motherboard.

Anyhoo, my question is this: I'm pretty certain my cd/dvd drive is fine, as well as my hard drive. I've backed up some important stuff on my computer, but not my programs. Since these two components are not involved in the repair process, apple probably won't mess with them, right? I have a cd in the drive that I need...

And any parts that do need to be replaced are refurbished or new? A nice little freebie upgrade on my processor would be nice

And lastly, does anyone know how long repairs are taking recently? The guy at the genius bar was pretty clueless.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I know it's possible to receive a defective memory module from a supplier but I can tell you from experience I have never had a defective module fry a memory board. More than likely the module was inserted improperly or forced into the slot causing damage. No fault of OWC.

As for repairs on your machine, if it needs a new logic board the components will already be included (on the board). You can't upgrade the CPU on your MBP unless you buy a complete new machine. If Apple swaps out the logic board for you, the HDD and CD\DVD drive will remain as before.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
SeanMcG

SeanMcG is on a distinguished road

Do you think it would be a better idea to buy Apple's ram and just let them install it? I'm just worried i'm going to mess up the memory board again. The OWC ram was around 25 while apple is asking for 200....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Nothing wrong with buying memory from OWC, Crucial, or other reliable third party suppliers. Apple probably obtains the memory modules they use from the same importers. The difference being is that they charge a premium price for the modules and installation.

Just be careful when you insert the modules. A certain amount of force does have to be exerted but certainly not brute force where damage can occur.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about which Macbook Pro to buy | Battery Charge »