New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - dual boot macbook backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the_nerdling

the_nerdling is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual boot macbook running leopard and winxp

Hi

I've had my macbook 6 months now: its dual boot with leopard on one partition and winxp on the other. All is well, but I'd appreciate advice on backing up.

I'd like to be able to backup the whole machine to an external hard drive. My criteria for a backup system are:
(1) backup BOTH (windows and leopard) partitions on my macbook;
(2) backup incremental changes (ie not dumping the whole file system every time)
(3) a backup that can be read by other OSs as an external drive (e.g. windows, linux).

Initial digging suggests that time machine can do (2), but fails on (1) and (3). Does anyone know if there tweaks for time machine that can allow it to satisfy (1) and (3)? Else alternative backup systems that can meet all three criteria.

Or am I just too demanding?

Many thx
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
RamblinMan

RamblinMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5

I don't think that's too demanding, but probably a bit more complex than the "usual" consumer back-up needs.

Sorry I don't have any specific suggestions - this is one of the reasons I go with virtualization, though. Sure there is some sort of "hit" on performance of the VMs, but I can then use Time Machine (or similar) out-of-the-box.

Hope someone can chime in with a good option for you.

RamblinMan
MB Alum 2.4/2/250; VirtualBox with Vista and Ubuntu
iMac G5, iPods (4th Gen Nano, iPod Mini)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD Stuck in my MacBook | My new Macbook won't eject disk... »