pavlaki62
    Startup from USB drive
    Hi All

I would like to startup from an external USB drive. I have managed to restore a .dmg image of a workable "emergency" OS/X onto it but when using system preferences to select it as a startup, it is listed but it doesn't seem to want to restart and just sits there :-)

I have done it with a FireWire disk with no problem - is there a problem with using USB drives?

I have an iBook G4 933Mhz - 2 USB - and a Boot ROM version of 4.7.7f0

HELP!!

Paul

Ryanstech
    Have you tried holding the option key on reboot? This will bring up a list of bootable drives that your mac sees. Is your USB harddrive USB2.0? That also could be your problem

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    Im not sure if usb is fast enough to boot from, is it usb 2 or 1.1?

pavlaki62
    Hi :-)

Its a USB 2.0 drive :-)

I've tried holding down "t" at startup and that shows my main internal drive - I've also held down the option key - again it does not show the external drive... hmmm.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlaki62
    Hi :-)

Its a USB 2.0 drive :-)

I've tried holding down "t" at startup and that shows my main internal drive - I've also held down the option key - again it does not show the external drive... hmmm.
    how is the drive formatted, it has to be hfs+ which is mac os extended to be used as a bootable volume.

pavlaki62
    Hi *

It was formatted as MAC HFS (Journaled) - System Preferences sees it as a valid OS/X startup choice.

What is interesting is that if I try to install OS/X on the USB drive, Installer reports that it will not be bootable. Interesting...

Question: - is just simply not possible to boot from certain USB devices? Is it because the USB subsystem is only available at a certain boot level? whereas FireWire is available at a much lower system level?

Specs:
    hmm, how much space is available? I think theres a minimum space requirement when booting from a small external device. like for writing virtual memory/swap files, I think its like the size of the os, so about 3 gigs or so.

pavlaki62
    Hi *

Its a 37Gb drive - formatting it to MAC HFS (journaled) and then trying to install OS/X on it with the Apple Software Install CD still results in Installer marking it with a red exclamation mark telling me that it will not be bootable.

As I said, had no problem with my FireWire drive - that works beautifully :-) ... just wondered if anyone has managed to start OS/X from a USB drive or is it just me that is not having luck :-)

Thread Information