New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Which MacBook to Go With?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
RamblinMan

 
Member Since: Jan 09, 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 28
RamblinMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5

RamblinMan is offline
I'm replacing my MacBook Pro after somewhat grisly drops, spills, etc. I decided to go with the MacBook series this time around. But, I'm torn between going with a previous generation model and the new generation.

I was always interested in the most recent Black 2.4 version. These can be found for a bit of a discount, now, with the new models released. On the flip side, the new models have features not found on the 2.4 Black (trackpad capabilities, "greener" construction, faster bus speeds, back-lit keys, more RAM available to the graphics, etc.).

So, I find myself really torn. I really like the look of the Black, and don't have a need for the newer features, but I could certainly make use of the newer capabilities as well.

Primary uses. Some use for work/school (spreadsheets, word processing, flow charting, etc.), internet browsing, email, chatting, digital media (music, pics, and a few small vids) and a bit of gaming (SimCity, Tiger Woods Golf), also will have at least a couple of virtual machines (probably a couple Linux and one Windows).

I know that this may come down to personal preference, but am interested in anyone's thoughts. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

 
louishen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
Location: London
Posts: 8,951
louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

louishen is offline
Personally the graphics card in the new MacBooks swings it for me

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

 
macwannabe's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 19, 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 909
macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

macwannabe is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinMan View Post
I'm replacing my MacBook Pro after somewhat grisly drops, spills, etc. I decided to go with the MacBook series this time around. But, I'm torn between going with a previous generation model and the new generation.

I was always interested in the most recent Black 2.4 version. These can be found for a bit of a discount, now, with the new models released. On the flip side, the new models have features not found on the 2.4 Black (trackpad capabilities, "greener" construction, faster bus speeds, back-lit keys, more RAM available to the graphics, etc.).

So, I find myself really torn. I really like the look of the Black, and don't have a need for the newer features, but I could certainly make use of the newer capabilities as well.

Primary uses. Some use for work/school (spreadsheets, word processing, flow charting, etc.), internet browsing, email, chatting, digital media (music, pics, and a few small vids) and a bit of gaming (SimCity, Tiger Woods Golf), also will have at least a couple of virtual machines (probably a couple Linux and one Windows).

I know that this may come down to personal preference, but am interested in anyone's thoughts. Thanks.
you sound really indecisive you need to figure out what you want, need and what is in your budget to get, b4 you ask us a question. we can only give you insight on what you already are looking for but you seem to know everything on the stats and stuff on the notebooks.. but personally i would pick the newer version MB

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
RamblinMan

 
Member Since: Jan 09, 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 28
RamblinMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5

RamblinMan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Personally the graphics card in the new MacBooks swings it for me
Honestly, that is one of the primary reasons for my problem with the decision. It's primarily graphics capabilities versus my preference for the "black" version and the lower cost of the "black" version.
QUOTE Thanks
RamblinMan

 
Member Since: Jan 09, 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 28
RamblinMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5

RamblinMan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
you sound really indecisive you need to figure out what you want, need and what is in your budget to get, b4 you ask us a question. we can only give you insight on what you already are looking for but you seem to know everything on the stats and stuff on the notebooks.. but personally i would pick the newer version MB
Sound indecisive? Really? Just laid out a few tidbits and sought thoughts/opinions.

Cost isn't an issue, but I do look for savings if they are available, paired with what capabilities I will/might use (thus my going away from MBPs - won't "need" everything it has). This leads directly to the "old" versus "new" question.

Thanks for your input, though.
QUOTE Thanks
Futch

 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2008
Posts: 77
Futch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM

Futch is offline
I too "loved" the look of the black macbook's but when I was researching I found out a new release was nearby.

I'm so glad i waited for the aluminum macbook's. they are so much nicer than the black one in every category. Lighter, sleeker, better look/feel, faster speed, better graphics, faster ram, trackpad, etc.

i will never be able to use a non trackpad again. my fiance has a vaio and every time i use it i find myself using the finger gestures because they are so very useful. you sound like a tech savvy individual and i assure you that you will be very happy with the aluminum macbook.

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Nano 2GB
QUOTE Thanks
RamblinMan

 
Member Since: Jan 09, 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 28
RamblinMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5

RamblinMan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futch View Post
I too "loved" the look of the black macbook's but when I was researching I found out a new release was nearby.

I'm so glad i waited for the aluminum macbook's. they are so much nicer than the black one in every category. Lighter, sleeker, better look/feel, faster speed, better graphics, faster ram, trackpad, etc.

i will never be able to use a non trackpad again. my fiance has a vaio and every time i use it i find myself using the finger gestures because they are so very useful. you sound like a tech savvy individual and i assure you that you will be very happy with the aluminum macbook.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm going to hit-up one of the local Apple stores tomorrow and mess around with the new models - play a bit, you know, and figure out the extent to which I would/could take advantage of the the newer features.
QUOTE Thanks
tjbackstage

 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Posts: 88
tjbackstage is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)

tjbackstage is offline
I've gotten so used to the trackpad on my 2.4GHZ aluminum MB, and I LOVE IT! It takes slight adjusting, but it's amazing. I didn't think I'd ever use any of the fancy features, but now they're just part of the normal routine. The RAM in the new MBs is faster, the new ones are thinner, they weigh less, and they have longer battery life. Go to an Apple store and notice when you lift the display on a white MacBook how it doesn't open evenly if you don't open it from the middle. The luxuries of the new MacBook make it 100% worth it! The trackpad, unibody aluminum enclosure, graphics card, backlight keyboard, and size defeat last generation's white/black MacBooks completely.

Notebook: aluminum MacBook (2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 32GB partition for Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu Linux 8.10 running in VMWare Fusion 2)
iPod: 16GB iPod Touch (2nd generation), 8GB iPod Nano (3rd generation)
QUOTE Thanks
MacintoshMaster

 
Member Since: Dec 30, 2008
Location: 
Posts: 119
MacintoshMaster can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron

MacintoshMaster is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbackstage View Post
I've gotten so used to the trackpad on my 2.4GHZ aluminum MB, and I LOVE IT! It takes slight adjusting, but it's amazing. I didn't think I'd ever use any of the fancy features, but now they're just part of the normal routine. The RAM in the new MBs is faster, the new ones are thinner, they weigh less, and they have longer battery life. Go to an Apple store and notice when you lift the display on a white MacBook how it doesn't open evenly if you don't open it from the middle. The luxuries of the new MacBook make it 100% worth it! The trackpad, unibody aluminum enclosure, graphics card, backlight keyboard, and size defeat last generation's white/black MacBooks completely.
I personaly like the white ones.
I think that they are clean. simple and cool.
And don't worry about getting them dirty.
Buy the magic sponge and that makes it look like new!
QUOTE Thanks
Sara!

 
Member Since: Jan 06, 2009
Location: London
Posts: 13
Sara! is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: The new Macbook, 13", 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 2GB RAM

Sara! is offline
I wanted the old white Macbook but was told to get the new one because it was 5x as fast as the old one (also partially of the reason that I study graphics).

I thought £200 extra to get the new one was worth it though, but you mentioned games and I just thought the new one would be better?
QUOTE Thanks
RamblinMan

 
Member Since: Jan 09, 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 28
RamblinMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5

RamblinMan is offline
Have a white iBook and it can get dingy - 'course it's my daughter's, now, so such is life.

I actually decided to buy the new version and procured it this morning - typing on it right now, while I'm moving a lot of my data over. I would have loved to get the capabilities of the new models in the black form factor, but this one will work just fine for at least a couple of years, I'm sure.
QUOTE Thanks
Futch

 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2008
Posts: 77
Futch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM

Futch is offline
Good choice, tell me what you think after you use it for awhile.

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Nano 2GB
QUOTE Thanks
dtx

 
Member Since: Jan 09, 2009
Location: calgary
Posts: 43
dtx is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Aluminum MB, 2.0, 2gb ram, 320gb hdd

dtx is offline
the Multi-touch convinced me to spend the extra $. It's the only feature that a "light" user will make use of day to day. I am a Power User 10% of the time, but just browsing and listening to music etc on a day to day basis, so the extra specs wasn't enough to convince me to get the new MB. However once i'd used the multitouch track pad it was in love! the 4 finger swipes up\down for expose is incredible.
They are wayyyy sexier too! haha! Go with the new one, you won't regret it!

oops! you already made your choice! haha good decision!

-----
DTx
Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz
2GB RAM\320GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
RamblinMan

 
Member Since: Jan 09, 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs
Posts: 28
RamblinMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5

RamblinMan is offline
No problem DTx, I appreciate your thoughts all the same. The trackpad gestures are pretty neat & handy - it's taking a bit of retraining to get myself to utilize them versus the "old" methods, though!
QUOTE Thanks
Midnightneedles

 
Member Since: Jan 11, 2009
Posts: 20
Midnightneedles is on a distinguished road

Midnightneedles is offline
I was in the Apple store the other day, otherwise known as heaven, playing on the new macbooks/pros and they are sooo nice

my mbp is around a year old and i want to upgrade so bad

get the new mp, looks so awesome and feels so awesome, is so awesome
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Chill Mat for Mac | MacBook Late 08 TrackPad Problems »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
New MacBook.. FINALLY Happy! cgchambers Apple Notebooks 7 04-10-2008 10:20 AM
Macbook or Macbook Pro GeorgeTink Switcher Hangout 22 01-05-2008 04:22 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?