New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - New Macbook vs Old Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macbook9812

macbook9812 is on a distinguished road

Hi, everyone. I will soon be buying my first Mac, and I can't decide between a new 2.0 ghz Macbook and an old 2.4 ghz Macbook Pro, which is only around $100 more. I will be use the computer mostly for general purposes as a college student, but I also do a lot of audio recording and production and plan to run Logic Express along with some pretty CPU-heavy plugins.

I would rather have a 13" screen, but having the larger screen isn't a big deal to me. I do like the design of the new Macbook. Having a firewire port might come in handy, but it's not essential, as my audio interface uses USB 2.0.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Which should have better performance for recording music? Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

the MBP has the stand alone graphics.. but you are only doing audio i dont see why the MB wouldnt be the best fit for you..

just my 2 pennies.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
mikesmith2

mikesmith2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac

The new Macbook seems to have a lot of teething problems.
I would go for the Pro, that way you have the extra power should you ever need it.

It also has more expansion capabilities.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmith2 View Post
...It also has more expansion capabilities.
Such as?

I would go with the pro only because If you are anything like me, typing papers the night before...the backlit keyboard helps. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
mikesmith2

mikesmith2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac

Firewire 400 & 800
QUOTE Thanks
Midnightneedles

Midnightneedles is on a distinguished road

go with the pro...esp if you are doing production issues. extra power is always helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

I would go with the pro as well
QUOTE Thanks
DB2k

DB2k will become famous soon enough

I couldn't buy an old something when the new something is out. New MB gets my vote.
QUOTE Thanks
Futch

Futch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM

New. Insane to go old with your needs...

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Nano 2GB
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Another vote for the pro.
QUOTE Thanks
Tofuik

Tofuik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!

I was in the same boat as you (cep I do Video and Audio). I was leaning more towards hardcore production for a good price.

I went with the Macbook Pro because I work outside sometimes (aka MATTE RULES GLASS DROOLS) heh. Plus I plan on selling off my USB interface in favor of a better equipped firewire interface.

I can't live with out Firewire, so I was bummed when they started cutting back on their ports (400 and 800 were a definite need for me)

The new macbooks are nice and all but the negatives outweighed the positives for me (glass, no firewire, unlighted keyboard, and not 15in, strange trackpad, new form not enough consumer testing on them yet)

My MBP was amazing out of the box, plus I dumped in 4 gigs of ram later on. I'd like a better gcard but my 256mb 8600m performs perfectly for me with no regrets.

The only thing I hate about my MBP is the superdrive on the front, but I'll live.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with my iBook | Mac charger light prob. »