Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jbsengineer
    Palm sweat causing holes in the aluminum?
    I saw a few posts on another forum today. Was wondering if anybody had opinons on this? I'm sure you have to be a avid user to have this happen. Or I hope so anyway.

Josh

oldschool8604
    im not sure if it causes holes per-se...but it does 'rust' the case...
    on my brother's first aluminum PB he noticed the aluminum was turning white in places, especially where his palms sat...he got a new pb because it was pretty bad

but, if it hasn't happened yet...what you want to get is these plastic films that fit over the palm rest areas...i forgot what they are called...but theyre thin plastic, and its not really stickers, it just adheres with no glue or anything to taht area and it protects it from drops of water and palm sweat, and so on...

flonejek
    Aluminium doeesn't corrode easily, as when it corrode it leaves a porfectly smooth layer of aluminium oxide behind which gives most aluminium its matt appearance so i doubt very much that palm sweat would penetrate this layer of protective corrosion, and theres no way it would leave holes.

jbsengineer
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool8604
    im not sure if it causes holes per-se...but it does 'rust' the case...
    on my brother's first aluminum PB he noticed the aluminum was turning white in places, especially where his palms sat...he got a new pb because it was pretty bad

but, if it hasn't happened yet...what you want to get is these plastic films that fit over the palm rest areas...i forgot what they are called...but theyre thin plastic, and its not really stickers, it just adheres with no glue or anything to taht area and it protects it from drops of water and palm sweat, and so on...
    anyone know where i could find something like that to lay over the aluminum where the palm rests

flonejek
    Also if you wanted to get rid of white marks (which is probably salt building up the rough surface) wipe it with a damp cloth and if that doesent work try using a bit of brasso, that will remove the protective layer oy corrosion, but it reforms relatively quickly, in a few hours.

Specs:
    iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
    It must have been from the titanium series becouse thats what my teachers did...
    -Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-

oldschool8604
    hey haha sorry i figured out what the site was
    http://www.klearadvantage.com/HomePage.html

those are great! get them

groovndc
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool8604
    hey haha sorry i figured out what the site was
    http://www.klearadvantage.com/HomePage.html

those are great! get them
    I looked and couldn't tell if they make these for the 12" powerbook. So I wrote and asked. If the answer is no I'll cut them so they fit! Thanks for posting the message about these - I have been looking for something like this forever.

Barry

Cloudane
    Aluminium doesn't rust... and unless you have incredibly acidic sweat or something (lol) it certainly wouldn't result in any holes!

All you have to do is wipe it down with a damp cloth or a bit of IPA and it'll look good as new.

groovndc
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane
    Aluminium doesn't rust... and unless you have incredibly acidic sweat or something (lol) it certainly wouldn't result in any holes!

All you have to do is wipe it down with a damp cloth or a bit of IPA and it'll look good as new.
    Does the powerbook palm rest area get dirty though? Does normal cleaning keep it clean? I've had a different experience with my Dell laptop (which is plastic, btw).

Barry

Cloudane
    Never noticed it get dirty. Depends how dirty your hands are I guess But just an occasional wipe ought to keep it clean.

Specs:
    Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
    I've had my AL PB for about 4 months now, and I use it everyday. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the palm rest areas whatsoever.
    I think the white is probably just dried sweat (like someone else said).

benmueller
    Good call on the Klear Advantage Overlays, hopefully they'll fit the newer 12" PB's.

For those who haven't had the problem (yet) on the newer PB's... the palm rests are now painted plastic, not metal. After only a few months the paint on mine is chipping/wearing off. Apple Care won't cover it. Better to have a dorky piece of plastic there than a ghetto looking 'book.

groovndc
    Quote Originally Posted by benmueller
    Good call on the Klear Advantage Overlays, hopefully they'll fit the newer 12" PB's.

For those who haven't had the problem (yet) on the newer PB's... the palm rests are now painted plastic, not metal. After only a few months the paint on mine is chipping/wearing off. Apple Care won't cover it. Better to have a dorky piece of plastic there than a ghetto looking 'book.
    Hey.... look what I found...

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/rr.php

Wrist rags for the Powerbook series. Neat!

Barry

Cloudane
    Now that, I would like. Case of finding them in the UK though

Thread Information