New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Palm sweat causing holes in the aluminum?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jbsengineer

I saw a few posts on another forum today. Was wondering if anybody had opinons on this? I'm sure you have to be a avid user to have this happen. Or I hope so anyway.

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
oldschool8604

im not sure if it causes holes per-se...but it does 'rust' the case...
on my brother's first aluminum PB he noticed the aluminum was turning white in places, especially where his palms sat...he got a new pb because it was pretty bad

but, if it hasn't happened yet...what you want to get is these plastic films that fit over the palm rest areas...i forgot what they are called...but theyre thin plastic, and its not really stickers, it just adheres with no glue or anything to taht area and it protects it from drops of water and palm sweat, and so on...
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

Aluminium doeesn't corrode easily, as when it corrode it leaves a porfectly smooth layer of aluminium oxide behind which gives most aluminium its matt appearance so i doubt very much that palm sweat would penetrate this layer of protective corrosion, and theres no way it would leave holes.
QUOTE Thanks
jbsengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool8604
im not sure if it causes holes per-se...but it does 'rust' the case...
on my brother's first aluminum PB he noticed the aluminum was turning white in places, especially where his palms sat...he got a new pb because it was pretty bad

but, if it hasn't happened yet...what you want to get is these plastic films that fit over the palm rest areas...i forgot what they are called...but theyre thin plastic, and its not really stickers, it just adheres with no glue or anything to taht area and it protects it from drops of water and palm sweat, and so on...
anyone know where i could find something like that to lay over the aluminum where the palm rests
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

Also if you wanted to get rid of white marks (which is probably salt building up the rough surface) wipe it with a damp cloth and if that doesent work try using a bit of brasso, that will remove the protective layer oy corrosion, but it reforms relatively quickly, in a few hours.
QUOTE Thanks
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

It must have been from the titanium series becouse thats what my teachers did...

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
QUOTE Thanks
oldschool8604

hey haha sorry i figured out what the site was
http://www.klearadvantage.com/HomePage.html

those are great! get them
QUOTE Thanks
groovndc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool8604
hey haha sorry i figured out what the site was
http://www.klearadvantage.com/HomePage.html

those are great! get them
I looked and couldn't tell if they make these for the 12" powerbook. So I wrote and asked. If the answer is no I'll cut them so they fit! Thanks for posting the message about these - I have been looking for something like this forever.

Barry
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Aluminium doesn't rust... and unless you have incredibly acidic sweat or something (lol) it certainly wouldn't result in any holes!

All you have to do is wipe it down with a damp cloth or a bit of IPA and it'll look good as new.
QUOTE Thanks
groovndc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane
Aluminium doesn't rust... and unless you have incredibly acidic sweat or something (lol) it certainly wouldn't result in any holes!

All you have to do is wipe it down with a damp cloth or a bit of IPA and it'll look good as new.
Does the powerbook palm rest area get dirty though? Does normal cleaning keep it clean? I've had a different experience with my Dell laptop (which is plastic, btw).

Barry
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Never noticed it get dirty. Depends how dirty your hands are I guess But just an occasional wipe ought to keep it clean.
QUOTE Thanks
xwonderboy85x

xwonderboy85x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM

I've had my AL PB for about 4 months now, and I use it everyday. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the palm rest areas whatsoever.
I think the white is probably just dried sweat (like someone else said).
QUOTE Thanks
benmueller

Good call on the Klear Advantage Overlays, hopefully they'll fit the newer 12" PB's.

For those who haven't had the problem (yet) on the newer PB's... the palm rests are now painted plastic, not metal. After only a few months the paint on mine is chipping/wearing off. Apple Care won't cover it. Better to have a dorky piece of plastic there than a ghetto looking 'book.
QUOTE Thanks
groovndc

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmueller
Good call on the Klear Advantage Overlays, hopefully they'll fit the newer 12" PB's.

For those who haven't had the problem (yet) on the newer PB's... the palm rests are now painted plastic, not metal. After only a few months the paint on mine is chipping/wearing off. Apple Care won't cover it. Better to have a dorky piece of plastic there than a ghetto looking 'book.
Hey.... look what I found...

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/rr.php

Wrist rags for the Powerbook series. Neat!

Barry
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Now that, I would like. Case of finding them in the UK though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How many gigs does OS X take up? | How do you guys keep the palmrest clean? »