New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rehanfarrukh

rehanfarrukh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24", 3.06 GHz / Late 2008 MBP 17" 2.6GHz high res. anti-glare, 4GB RAM

Now I am stuck with these two options and need some help here. Already placed an order for new MBP 17" 2.9Ghz, 4GB RAM.

Read lots of reviews online. I know SSD is more reliable than HDD but is it really worth spending an extra C$850 for 256GB? Does vibration/noise of HDD matters to me? Yes, to some extent. But what really is bothering me is SSD's limited write cycle. Does that mean at some point in time, it'll crash (sooner than HDD) and I will loose everything?

Yes, I use my notebook everyday but question is if its worth putting the money on SSD at this stage. The price will eventually come down every year.

Any thoughts, suggestions??? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

SSD's are *NOT* worth it right now. The cost is far too high for the marginal real world benefits.

You can buy enough replacement HD's for the price of the SSD that you'll outlast the life of the notebook.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Save your money. It's just not worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris View Post
SSD's are *NOT* worth it right now. The cost is far too high for the marginal real world benefits.

You can buy enough replacement HD's for the price of the SSD that you'll outlast the life of the notebook.
agreed but looking forward to the day when they are worth it

"i believe louisiana is the pelican state"
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I love the SSD in my MBA - very fast. Still, I don't see the value in it as a paid upgrade for my MBP. It's not that fast yet and not very big.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
rehanfarrukh

Mac Specs: iMac 24", 3.06 GHz / Late 2008 MBP 17" 2.6GHz high res. anti-glare, 4GB RAM

Thanks everyone for your advise. I'll change my order to 320GB 7200 rpm. My order says it will ship on 19 Feb but when I phoned Apple, they confirmed that although its showing 19 Feb, its gonna ship at the end of Jan. But I still don't know why so much delay.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehanfarrukh View Post
Thanks everyone for your advise. I'll change my order to 320GB 7200 rpm. My order says it will ship on 19 Feb but when I phoned Apple, they confirmed that although its showing 19 Feb, its gonna ship at the end of Jan. But I still don't know why so much delay.
It's a custom ordered computer that is why. If it was stock specs it would ship sooner.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
rehanfarrukh

even if its a standard stock spec, shipping is 3 to 4 weeks.
QUOTE Thanks
LindsayM

LindsayM is on a distinguished road

Quick question, how easy is it to change over from standard hard drive to SSD. Is it basically plug and play once you have installed your operating system. In other words is it a case of removing hard drive and replacing with SSD, same connections etc.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

The write cycles are high enough that it'll most likely become completely obsolete before you ever reach the limit. They're extremely fast and energy efficient. (makes me wonder what the battery life gets up to with the SSD).

Having said that, the price doesn't justify the benefits to me unless you're so wealthy that $850 is comparable to $8.50 to the average person.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
DVS_WiNdz

DVS_WiNdz is on a distinguished road

Will Apple lower their price for the SSD? if so how long do you think it'll take?
QUOTE Thanks
brian0

brian0 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS_WiNdz View Post
Will Apple lower their price for the SSD? if so how long do you think it'll take?
1/2 years?
I asked myself the same question but it's not worth it at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
Macaflan

Macaflan is on a distinguished road

Since SSDs are based on flash technology, just look at the prices for Compact Flash cards for cameras and what not. You can pickup 2GB cards for <$10, and pro level write speed cards for perhaps only double that.

All technology comes down in price because since Americans (I am included), are always told to get the newest stuff with the fancy bells and whistles, the old stuff becomes of lower demand and the prices have to drop.

I just sold a $2200 dell laptop purchased in 2003 for $200, and I was fortunate to get that.

No signature
QUOTE Thanks
greggebhardt

greggebhardt is on a distinguished road

I used a Thinkpad X300 with the new 128gb SSD and it was not that fast at all. Only a slightly faster boot up time was the only advantage I found and for the cost ! Not another for me for now. Just get the 320gb 7200rpm drive for now and wait a few more years till they get the SSD running better!
QUOTE Thanks
docmacps

docmacps is on a distinguished road

Solid-State drive technology changed SOOOO rapidly in 2009. The biggest change was new controller chips from Indilinx and Samsung - both with more onboard cache - that just STOMPED on even high-end spinning platter drives. Period.

Any current crop of SSD's - OCZ Vertex, Patriot Warp III or Torqx, Intel X-25, SuperTalent ME -- relieve the last true bottleneck in computer performance. With 128GB around $300 it's an easy clone/swap in many Mac models. Best bang for the buck you'll ever experience from an upgrade, bar none.

Apple Mac SSD Drives : Solid-State Flash Memory Upgrade Disks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just randomly died on me | MagSafe light not functioning »