New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook Pro - boots up randomly, beeps loudly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wyattb

wyattb is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

Every now and then when I'm typing something, the "Do you really want you shut down your computer?" message comes up, and I think maybe I've pressed a combination of keys to make the message come up. So I press "Cancel," not wanting the computer to shut off, the message goes away. then about five seconds later, the computer dies and I have to start it up again. It doesn't shut down properly, it just completely blacks out. Then, upon start-up, it makes a very loud beeping tone.

This has happened enough times that I think it's not a coincidence of key pressing but some sort of problem with the computer.

Then, as of last night, it started booting up randomly. I shut it off before I went to bed and in a 3 hour time period, it booted itself randomly twice. It even does this if the cover is closed! When doing these random boot-ups, it also makes the rather loud beeping tone.

Edit: my MacBook is the previous-generation MacBook Pro, running OS X 10.5...

The computer is not noticeably slower nor do I have any other problems with it, but since I do love it I'm of course very worried! If anyone could tell me what the problem may be or quell my distress it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cm105bpp

cm105bpp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro 2GB ram; Windows XP on VMware 2.0

I bought my MacBook Pro last May and I'm running OS X 10.5.6. If your computer can boot up after you powered it off, you must have gone to STANDBY instead of a SHUTDOWN (as in power off). STANDBY leaves much of the OS active and can heat up your laptop especially if you have returned it to your laptop case.

So, unless you intend to go into STANDBY mode instead of shutdown, check your system preference to make sure you shutdown, instead of going to standby mode. It's been a while since I adjusted that, so I cannot tell you where exactly to check in Preferences. Sorry!

My wife is a PC user who occasionally uses my MacBook and I see that she is careless about whether she has one or two fingers on the touch-pad when she clicks, which has the same effect as CTL-Click (Right Click in PC lingo). That does cause strange things to happen, especially when the screen display cannot keep up with you finger movements.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen size how to inlarge | Dropped MacBook pro. Repair or replace? »