New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 8 hour battery life..........new 17" MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LindsayM

LindsayM is on a distinguished road

Now that is impressive, pity is not removable, I wish they would put that system into the 15" model along with the 256gb SSD. SSD on the pricey side though.
QUOTE Thanks
Futch

Futch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM

What kind of workload were you putting on the battery? Internet only? DVD player? Did it sleep at all suring the 8 hours? Sounds like a stretch...

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Nano 2GB
QUOTE Thanks
LindsayM

LindsayM is on a distinguished road

Not my claim...........its apple's claim on new 17" MBP
QUOTE Thanks
Mikisunshine

Mikisunshine is on a distinguished road

I'm lucky if I can now get an hour out of my battery. I know I need to buy a new one but, darn, they're so expensive.

I agree though. Wish they'd put it on the 15".

----
Regards, Michele
Michele@mikicatdesigns.com
QUOTE Thanks
Futch

Futch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM

i doubt it is truly 8 hours. that is probably a test that is not pushing the computer very hard at all...just my 2 cents.

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Nano 2GB
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

Its not removable? that kinda sucks :/

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
GK27V6

GK27V6 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futch View Post
i doubt it is truly 8 hours. that is probably a test that is not pushing the computer very hard at all...just my 2 cents.
Apple claims 8 hours on the NVIDIA 9400M integrated chip, under the following conditions: "The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%."

From personal experience, Apple's claims tend to be bang on. Granted, I'm currently on my first and only Mac that that I've had for six months, but Apple claims those conditions for my white MacBook to be 4.5hours, and that is exactly what I got. So it may not push the computer very hard, but it is still a fair, realistic "push". 8hrs is still impressive, hard-pushing or not.
QUOTE Thanks
///MPower

///MPower is on a distinguished road

What happens when the batteries no good? How does one replace it?
QUOTE Thanks
GK27V6

GK27V6 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPower View Post
What happens when the batteries no good? How does one replace it?
Either take it to an Apple store or just take apart the case. There should be instructions online making it relatively simple to do so.
QUOTE Thanks
chrisiw

chrisiw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.

I would have thought a 17" laptop with price tag like that, the battery should last forever
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisiw View Post
I would have thought a 17" laptop with price tag like that, the battery should last forever
With the way technology is moving, there is no such thing are forever.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
With the way technology is moving, there is no such thing are forever.

Very true and also no battery will last forever, at least not with any present technology anyway!

Some dood on Ebay was selling a Dell Notebook with no power adapter so stated "Battery Lasts Forever and NEVER needs to be charged!"

A person I know fell for it. I lost it! My jaw still hurts from hitting the floor being so shocked at a friend of mine believing something that crazy!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Very true and also no battery will last forever, at least not with any present technology anyway!

Some dood on Ebay was selling a Dell Notebook with no power adapter so stated "Battery Lasts Forever and NEVER needs to be charged!"

A person I know fell for it. I lost it! My jaw still hurts from hitting the floor being so shocked at a friend of mine believing something that crazy!
That is seriously beyond false advertisement. I seriously hope he got his money back.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple's new MacBook Wheel... | Late 2008 Macbook Pro Comparison (The Real Deal This Time) »