01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Hello, all and tia in advance to any who reply. I recognize that SSD is expensive, but I am willing, if necessary, to make the investment, now, for the sake of my sanity. I am looking for advice regarding the proper or best storage system in the following situation:
1. MacBook Pro, Santa Rosa, late 2007, 2.6ghz; to be used:
2. in a windows environment at work running VMWare and/or Parallels Fusion (I use both now);
3. Backup nightly to 1TB Caviar Black and intend to run RAID 0 boot drive (2 x Scorpio Black 1TB partitioned), or, if it would be better, "enterprise" grade SLC SSD to avoid the random write issue I've read so much about(Intel X25-E or Memoright depending on whether there is any effective performance gain for my usage);
4. My objective is to speed up the running of windows applications (and I would rather not use BootCamp). Typical daily usage includes accessing and saving documents and emails to office server, constant Kaspersky protection, using iTunes (from a library stored on an external drive connected via eSata; does that = "streaming"?).
5. I find the constant delays in multi-tasking in such a simple things as Windows unbearable. B/c my profession requires the constant usage of Office programs (which seem inexplicably moribund), I'm willing to do anything to speed things up.