New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - issues with the white macbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DB2k

DB2k will become famous soon enough

Debating on getting one of these for the wife if they suddenly get reduced tomorrow.. Her current windows lappy lasted about 7-8 years and I'm worried a white plastic case might not really be as durable.

Whilst it doesn't have to last that amount of time, I'd like to get something that will last for her with an hour or two of use a day tops.

So physically, how are these?

cheers,
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
LTfan

LTfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory

ive had my white one going on 2 years and it is as tough as nails. whilst the cover is lightly scratched, i havent had ne major durability problems. And for the first year i toted it around alot for school. So i have no hesitations in recommending it

"Hey Anyung"
"Anyung"
QUOTE Thanks
DB2k

thanks LTfan - good comments. Sounds good.
QUOTE Thanks
DB2k

does it have a left and right click button on the laptop like a normal laptop, or does it have single click and command+click for right click operations?

D
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The new portables have a right click built in to the trackpad, as well as supporting some cool new gestures on the trackpad

Multi-finger MacBook trackpad gestures demonstrated on video - Engadget

Apple - MacBook Pro - Features

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Hi DB2k

It has only one mouse button. To "right-click" you can hold two fingers on the trackpad and press the mouse button.

You can also connect one external mouse of course, where you have two buttons.

Hope this helps

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Having both the white Macbook and the black one (wife's) I can give this advice: white ones get dusty/dirty, black ones get greasy.

Durability wise, however they are as mentioned pretty reasonably tough notebooks given the proper care. Mine spent a year commuting to my job and back, complete with external connections being made every day. Just get a decent case.

Went to the Apple store today and checked out the aluminum ones. They feel kind of plastic-y for being aluminum and the buttonless trackpad was kind of weird, but otherwise they're okay, but nothing to make me throw rocks at my current Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

Arekisu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strukt View Post
Hi DB2k

It has only one mouse button. To "right-click" you can hold two fingers on the trackpad and press the mouse button.

You can also connect one external mouse of course, where you have two buttons.

Hope this helps
Or you can tap the track pad, with one finger for left click, two for right click.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Oh, and One More Thing

The white Macbooks come with Firewire. Aluminum ones don't. I have Firewire ha ha! I suggest a refurb white Macbook. They're available for US$949 from the Apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I've had no issues with mine and it's a year old. Also, if you purchase Applecare, it will cover stress cracks in the case (provided its obvious it wasn't dropped/abused) for three years.
QUOTE Thanks
andypham

andypham is on a distinguished road

Just go ahead and get 1 MacBook, you will soon find yourself fall in love with it
QUOTE Thanks
DB2k

Thanks all - not sure why I didn't get any email notifications of these messages but really appreciate all of them. Every. Single. One

thanks again - I'm going to try and convince the wife she wants a white one to go with my alu one I'm going to get. Should be able to use my mates Apple discount too so could be steal of the century
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

My spouse have the Core Duo 1,83GHz MacBook. I believe she have had it for about two years now, and she loves it !. She use it everyday.

I remember when we decided to buy a laptop for her, we thought about buying a cheaper PC laptop but i managed to convince her to shell out a little more monay and get the Mac.

I asked her a while ago if she regret that choice, the answer was NO!.

Your wife will be pleased ...
QUOTE Thanks
DB2k

Thanks fella She just needs a little convincing.. 400 for a Dell or 700 for a mac - its not an easy decision. That said I'm hoping for some 17% off action there which brings it down to a more competitive on price 580 (in my head anyway!)
QUOTE Thanks
waz

waz is on a distinguished road

I have the white one Macbook for 2 years now. It got scratches all over and looks a bit dirty with dirt settling in those scratches. But have been reliable though.

TO SOLVE this, purchase the Macbook shell cover that fits into the back and the lid. You can find it in eBay.

Click on my link at IMAG0068.jpg photo - Mohd Azli Zahari photos at pbase.com

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keeps going to 'sleep' every 5-10 minutes by itself | HD noise when I open my notebook »