New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Apple care or no apple care?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tommyboy31689

tommyboy31689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0GHz Aluminum MacBook

I have had my new aluminum macbook for about 2 months now and no apple care. With everything I buy, I treat with the most care but I have a problem trying to decide whether to get apple care or not. It is alot of money that I honestly do not want to spend. I would love some opinions on what you guys think about the investment and whether it is really needed.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

MacBook or MacBook Pro ~ Yes & Yes.
Desktops not so important.

MacBooks and MacBook Pros get a hard life how ever careful you are, Apple Care is a sensible option.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
mikesmith2

mikesmith2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac

Have a look on Ebay for Applecare. I got mine from there a lot cheaper than Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Give me a price you are willing to pay for AppleCare and I will give you a copy I have which I do not need (I have a MacBook Pro and someone bought me the MacBook version). Apple sells them for £195 and you can find them considerably cheaper on ebay so have a look around and then come to me with a price.
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

I would definitely recommend the AppleCare. I have had things replaced under the plan which may or may not have been my fault *cough*. I have had issues with the superdrives, where they just stop being able to burn DVDs. I have no idea what the deal is. I did nothing to them. However, I accidentally had the computer drop from a height of about a foot onto a tile floor which totaled the HD, but there was no visible damage to the computer and they replaced that for me. My screen had become loose, so that it would shake a bit when I typed and they replaced that for me since tightening the screws didn't fix it. The wrist rest had become a TINY bit tarnished from the oils in my skin, and the replaced the topcover for me. They are awesome to work with and they take a great deal of pride in customer satisfaction. They want you to be happy with your ownership experience, and they go out of their way to keep you that way.

BTW, I'm on my third superdrive now. Has anyone else had issues with them?

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy31689 View Post
I have had my new aluminum macbook for about 2 months now and no apple care. With everything I buy, I treat with the most care but I have a problem trying to decide whether to get apple care or not. It is alot of money that I honestly do not want to spend. I would love some opinions on what you guys think about the investment and whether it is really needed.
Search the forums please

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Solemony

Solemony is on a distinguished road

Yes you should have applecare..It's worth it

~Every thousand mile journey starts with a single step~
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

Very please with Apple Care experience.

Plus you dont have to get it right now, you still have 10 months to get the money if the cost is an issue.

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I vote no on pretty much any extended warranty. It's a roll of the dice. But, the dice are loaded in their favor, not yours.

Thundermoon, had issue with my drive recently. Took a can of air and shot 3 quick bursts in various directions into it. Been working fine since. Worth a try anyway. (Recommend pulling power and battery first.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

i got AppleCare on Amazon for a good price.
QUOTE Thanks
wshowell

wshowell is on a distinguished road

If you bought in on a credit card you might want to call them and see if they have an extended warranty program (free usually). I buy everything on my AMEX as it doubles my warranty (I pay it off each month so it's a financially prudent way to double warranties and get cash back). My Macbook Pro now has one year Apple warranty and an additional year of warranty from AMEX. Via and Mastercard do something similar.
https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...398b8fa153d019
QUOTE Thanks
dr dave

dr dave is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1

Extended warranties are usually not a good deal especially with a solid product such as an Apple. The problem is that parts for anything Apple are god-awful expensive. It is a machine; it will break sometime. With my first Apple PowerBook, I ran thru three mother boards at $1,500 each. No charge on Apple Care. You can wait 11 months and 29 days to buy it though. Save up your pennies.
QUOTE Thanks
sjpeckey

sjpeckey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro 2.2 core 2 duo,Macbook/iphone/ipod/apple Hi-Fi/MacBook Pro 13"/ipod nano/iPad 64 wifi/

I have owned three mac laptops and have had apple care on all of them. I also used it on all of them. None more that the macbook I have now. I have replaced the superdrive, track-pad, and the last one the bottom plastic case that cracked just under the hinge. Now apple usually does not cover plastics but with some phone work and some begging they covered it.

SO YES Apple Care
QUOTE Thanks
Monobas

Monobas is on a distinguished road

I bought Applecare on my previous laptop, a PowerBook G4.

About a year after I bought it my niece decided to push it off the kitchen table, putting a dent in the corner but otherwise it was fine.

I used the laptop day and night for another 1.5 years and then the hard-drive failed.. still 6 months to go on the Applecare.

Apple said they would replace it, I described to them over the phone that the laptop had a dent, I even sent them a photo. They said they would still replace the drive for free.

They then called me back 10 days later saying they could not replace the drive for free as the dent suggested it was my fault. So I replaced the drive myself instead.

Now I can kind of see their point, which is why I pointed it out myself first. So while I agree that applecare should be more important on a laptop due to their fragility.. if the number one reason you are likely to need help is due to the thing getting knocked about or dropped.. and Apple won't repair anything they see which could possibly be connected to that.. actually why is Applecare any more valid for a Laptop than a Desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monobas View Post
if the number one reason you are likely to need help is due to the thing getting knocked about or dropped.. and Apple won't repair anything they see which could possibly be connected to that.. actually why is Applecare any more valid for a Laptop than a Desktop?
Apple shouldn't be responsible for your careless way of treating your laptot, actually any warranty will cover that, except home inssurances or something like it.

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When when is it too much?! Problems with Macbook Pro | Start Up Problem »