New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - No USB/Sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mathonix

mathonix is on a distinguished road

My dc in/sound card shorted so I replaced (myself) and now the sound and USB on the left side of my 15" powerbook don't work. I replaced the dc in card again but still no sound. I have reset the vram and the open something or other to no avail. Any ideas what might be wrong? I was thinking it might be a problem with the cable that connects the dc in/sound board to the logic board?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The shorted DC in/sound card may have cause damage or component failure on the logic board. No real way to test it except to swap out the logic board. A new logic board for your Powerbook is not only going to cost $$$ but it's also difficult to replace.

Make sure you check all connections in and around where you replaced the DC in/sound card. It's possible something is loose or not making contact. Look closely at the small molex type connectors as they sometimes can lift up and lose contact with the board.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mathonix

mathonix is on a distinguished road

I was able to run the computer with a recharged battery when the old DC in board was shorted and the sound worked fine. It wasn't until I put a new one in that I lost sound/USB. That's why I suspect it may be a cable issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Arrangement tab missing on Display properties | Ah Crisis! »