New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - What is this strange thing happening?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacintoshMaster

MacintoshMaster can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron

Hi,
When I use my MacBook for sometimes (only happened 2 times in 7 month) running sibelius 5 and logic pro 8 at the same time, it freezes and then it says that I should hold down the off button for a number of seconds.

I have 4 GB of memory, 120 GB hard drive (Only 71GB left) and I'm running on MAC OSX 10.5.2 and a speed of 2.4 GHz.

Could it be that I need wipe the computer and install everything again?

I will wipe the computer anyway and tell you then what's happening.
Thankyou,
John.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

That is what's called a kernal panic, even OS X crashes sometimes.

2 times in 7 months is nothing to stress about, I don't think a rebuild will necessarily cure that but its up to you

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacintoshMaster View Post
Could it be that I need wipe the computer and install everything again?
That's a Windows mentality. UNIX-based Operating Systems don't suffer from the same Windows rot, and so don't often have to be reinstalled.

In my experience, Kernel panics are few and far between (I've never had one on my current machine, and only one on my first Mac). I would recommend doing an Apple Hardware Test, just to ensure that everything is OK from a hardware standpoint.

Have you recently made any major changes (upgraded memory, installed any new software, etc)?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacintoshMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
That's a Windows mentality. UNIX-based Operating Systems don't suffer from the same Windows rot, and so don't often have to be reinstalled.

In my experience, Kernel panics are few and far between (I've never had one on my current machine, and only one on my first Mac). I would recommend doing an Apple Hardware Test, just to ensure that everything is OK from a hardware standpoint.

Have you recently made any major changes (upgraded memory, installed any new software, etc)?
Yes, when I got the computer (7 Months ago) I had some memory put in by PCworld.co.uk
When I got my computer it only had 2 GB memory.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacintoshMaster View Post
Yes, when I got the computer (7 Months ago) I had some memory put in by PCworld.co.uk
When I got my computer it only had 2 GB memory.
I would pull the memory and put in the original memory. If they used cheap, generic memory, it could certainly cause very difficult to pin down reliability issues.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MacintoshMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I would pull the memory and put in the original memory. If they used cheap, generic memory, it could certainly cause very difficult to pin down reliability issues.

No I think that it is good memory.
It was PNY.
I and wipeing the computer now so I'll let you know.
Thanks for your help,
John
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MacBook Pro Battery Problem | MacbookPro will not restart »