New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - superdrive stuck

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macdreamer08

macdreamer08 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 1.33ghz 768ram, iMac G4 1.0ghz 1gb 80gb 10.4.11, iMac G3 450mhz 256 20gb 10.4.11 9.2.2

Ok, I just acquired a powerbook and stupid me decided that I could upgrade the hard drive on my own. I actually did it. The problem is it somehow messed up my superdrive. I put a disk in it and it wont come out. I tried holding down the trackpad at startup...everything! It won't eject! The computer can read the dvd. It tries to eject. But it can't! There is something blocking it. Can somebody help me? It's been my dream to have a powerbook for a long time now. I finally got one and I screwed it all up.
Oh, and I put the old hard drive back in it to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't. I don't know how this could have affected the superdrive.
Can somebody please help me? I'm about to cry.
QUOTE Thanks
macdreamer08

Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 1.33ghz 768ram, iMac G4 1.0ghz 1gb 80gb 10.4.11, iMac G3 450mhz 256 20gb 10.4.11 9.2.2

Anybody?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The "stuck" superdrive is probably coincidental and not related to replacing the hard drive unless you really messed something up during the process.

You're probably going to have to remove the superdrive in order to properly eject the disk. Go to the ifixit web site and look up your model of Powerbook and get the step by step removal - replacement instructions for the superdrive. You should be able to do the job yourself.

You may find out in the process that the superdrive is defective. It also would be a good time to replace it while it's apart.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
macdreamer08

It is a possibility that it was a coincidence. But if it went out, howcome it can still read the disk that's stuck but it can't eject it. I felt around in there. there is literally something blocking it from ejecting that wont move out of the way.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

When you put everything back together you probably didn't line up the drive correctly. The slot loaders can be a pain to install because if they are slightly out of alignment the disk can get stuck. I would take it apart again, adjust the positioning of the drive slightly, then try again. Unfortunately it is going to be a process of trial and error, because you won't know whether it is fixed until the entire machine is reassembled. You might get it the first try or it might take a while.
QUOTE Thanks
macdreamer08

I don't think I touched the superdrive when I took apart the computer. I mean it was exposed like everything else but I never touched it. But I will try that if you think it will help. It would be better than the $200-$300+ quotes I've gotten for repairs. Just don't want to screw anything else up.
QUOTE Thanks
macdreamer08

OH MY GOD! I fixed it on my own! I'm so excited! Turned out it was out of alignment. Just adjusted it a little and put the computer back together and the superdrive works good as new! Saved me about $300. Whew! Thanks everyone! Without you guys I'd probably be forking over a fortune for a "professional" to tell me the same thing. This is a great place!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with screen. | Late 2008 MBP owners, which GPU? »