New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - New MBP or... wait?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
stankewich

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2008
Posts: 5
stankewich is on a distinguished road

stankewich is offline
Hi, just a quick question to see what anyone has to say about this...

I have a MBP purchased in July of 2007, 15", 2 gigs of ram, 2.4 GHz I believe... and I have been getting the 4SNS/1/40000000:TGOD problem.... sometimes my computer freezes (I am assuming becaue it is getting too hot) and sometimes it refuses to start back up when i restart it... it's really annoying, but if I give it some time it comes back eventually... at any rate, I think it's a new motherboard that is required... which I am led to believe will be at least 1200... and I don't have applecare (YIKES, I know, I know... I'm an idiot!)

I use my mac for school (architecture) and heavily rely on it for everyday use.. so far I have been just trying to get by with the inconvenience, but I am wondering if it would be smart to drop $2500 on a new Macbook Pro, with warrentee... or should I just bite the bullet and fix this one? Seems like I mi9ght as well buy a new one and get it covered for 3 years...

Also... is it worth it to wait until the summer (student deals) or fall (possible update of the hardware? hmm.. I am just having a hard time deciding what I should do.... I have the money and could afford a new one now (though the bugdet would be strained) ... also... is there any option for selling a MBP that just needs a new motherboard?

Any help would be great! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

 
sevenhelmet's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 12, 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 539
sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

sevenhelmet is offline
Your computer isn't that old; I'd recommend fixing it since it's less than half the cost of a new one, and then BUY Applecare so you're covered for 3 years, and can then get the most out of your initial money spent. If you buy a new laptop, you'll gain a slight increase in performance, but it is unlikely that it will be worth the expense (twice as much money as fixing your current one, but will it allow you to be twice as productive?)

Make an appointment at the Apple Store's Genius Bar, if you can. It costs nothing, and they'll tell you for sure what is wrong with your current computer if you don't already know. It may not be as expensive as you think to fix it.

Good luck!

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
stankewich

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2008
Posts: 5
stankewich is on a distinguished road

stankewich is offline
Is Applecare still an option if I am past my one year??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 38,427
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by stankewich View Post
Is Applecare still an option if I am past my one year??
No, it must be purchased before the original warranty expires.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
stankewich

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2008
Posts: 5
stankewich is on a distinguished road

stankewich is offline
that said isn't it a better idea to hold out and buy a new computer soon so i can get three years of coverage instead of... none...? or am I off base on that?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
You don't get three years of coverage just for buying a new machine. You have to buy that separately. Must be bought within a year of buying the machine as well.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
stankewich

 
Member Since: Dec 29, 2008
Posts: 5
stankewich is on a distinguished road

stankewich is offline
understood, but at least I will have the option... at this point with my old machine I have no option to extend warranty, correct?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Dirty UNDER the iSkin | Weird Macbook Pro problem; screen flickering, and black line. »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Is it possible to wait 15" MBP with 1680X1050 res? linfan68 Apple Notebooks 2 12-15-2008 08:32 AM
XP slow performance with MBP and bootcamp jayzee Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac 2 06-10-2008 12:54 PM
MBP upgrade.....use as a desktop replacement? Vito117 Apple Notebooks 1 02-12-2008 10:16 AM
Mbp 2.33 Vs Mbp 2.4 mo_albaker Apple Notebooks 16 08-16-2007 03:30 AM
iMac; buy now or wait for the rumoured new ones? BenBateman Apple Desktops 14 08-01-2007 10:16 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?