New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - ibook 12'' g4 problem (logic board..again?)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evilkid187

evilkid187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4, 30gb HD, 1.33ghz, 512mb ram 12in screen, osx 10.3.9

hi everyone, havent posted on here in a while, due to getting a new imac and not having anyproblems. however, i do have this ibook g4 sitting around that's not working and just taking up space, so i've decided to fix or sell it. id like to try my hand at fixing it, i've takin laptops apart before and i am a huge motor head and work on cars pretty much everyday, so i think im up to the task.

* here's the problem, in march i was having problems with the ibook, so i took it to the apple store, they hooked it up and said i have a bad logic board, and it's $300 to fixit, but they will fix everything for that price. so i had them do it, they replaced the top case and track pad...i got it back and it worked like new again....for all of 6 motnths..as soon as it was out of warranty. it developed the same symptoms, so i took it back and they said it has to be the logic board again, nd it will be another $300 bc it had no warranty. well there has to be something else causing this i said, right? if the board goes bad twice, and the apple "expert" was like yea your probably right...well what is it i said? i dont' know, we'd have to send it out he said.

so agrivating...so my question is, should i replace the logic board myself?...or have it done? or sell it as is? i hooked it up via firewire to my imac and my hard drive is fine. it just boots up but the screen is blank the whole time. and once a couple days ago i tried to boot it up and the fan just whistled. any ideas? i used to plug my stereo in the head phone jack to listen to music, that couldn't of over heated anything could it of? i have money for a logic board, im pretty confident i could fix it. any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Phil
QUOTE Thanks
December

December is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4

It's possible you got a bad logic board twice. Actually happens more often then you would think. You could try replacing the logic board...but if these G4's are anything like the G3's, you probably don't want to, as they are a nightmare to get into and to get to the board itself is even worse.

"Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
But your innocence is all I have"
QUOTE Thanks
evilkid187

hey thanks for the reply, i appreciate it..weird that, that could happen twice..understanable it might be an awful job, but i kind of want to do it..whats the cheapest you think i could score a logic board for?

Phil
QUOTE Thanks
December

December is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4

iFixit lists one (for what I think is your model; hey, it's the same as mine! ) for about $330.

Link

"Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
But your innocence is all I have"
QUOTE Thanks
evilkid187

ic..to buy it and do it myself? or have someone do it?

Phil
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkid187 View Post
ic..to buy it and do it myself? or have someone do it?
Let Apple do it for the $300.00. That will also give you another 6 months warranty on the Logic board. In the meantime before the warranty expires, sell the G4. You may not get all your money back but at least you'll recoup some of it.

Swapping out a logic board on any Mac notebook computer is a chore. If you DIY and screw it up, you'll not only be out the cost of the Logic board but you'll still have a broken machine on your hands.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
evilkid187

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Let Apple do it for the $300.00. That will also give you another 6 months warranty on the Logic board. In the meantime before the warranty expires, sell the G4. You may not get all your money back but at least you'll recoup some of it.

Swapping out a logic board on any Mac notebook computer is a chore. If you DIY and screw it up, you'll not only be out the cost of the Logic board but you'll still have a broken machine on your hands.

Regards.
true, true...thanks for the advice

Phil
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery issue? | Pismo with wrong keyboard! »