Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Please help with some opinions (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/134914-please-help-some-opinions.html)

macpwns 12-27-2008 06:19 PM

Please help with some opinions

So I currently have a 2.4GHZ MBP.....

I'll be getting rid of it, but I'm trying to decide on my next Mac purchase and what it will be. I just don't need all the power that the MBP has, and am looking for something a little smaller.

I like the new Aluminum macbook's, but I've ALWAYS liked the black Macbook's.

Obviously the technical spec's are the major difference, but I'm trying to find the pro's and con's between the two.

Any help? Blackbook user's, do you love yours? Aluminum users, any things you hate/don't like/care for????

Khris 12-28-2008 12:46 AM

I switched from a Black MacBook and bought a new Aluminum MacBook. Best decision ever!!

-I hated how the Black MacBook showed fingerprints.....not an issue with the Aluminum model

-Black MacBook doesn't have a backlit keyboard

-Black MacBook doesn't have new glass touchpad (which works exceptionally well IMO)

macpwns 12-28-2008 01:18 AM

hmmm...you present very valid points.

I don't really care for the lit keyboard - I don't normally type in low light areas except if I'm in bed, and even then, i still know where the keys are and can see them thanks to the brightness of the screen so I think I would keep things simple and cheaper and get the non-lit keyboard.

Your other two points however, present value. I googled some pictures of blackbooks and you see nothing but fingerprints on them!!!!

So thanks, Khris :)

cwa107 12-28-2008 03:17 AM

One important question you need to ask yourself first - do you need Firewire or the added expansion capability that ExpressCard/34 affords?

macpwns 12-28-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 777382)
One important question you need to ask yourself first - do you need Firewire or the added expansion capability that ExpressCard/34 affords?

That is a big negative.

I have yet to use the card slot in my current MBP, and I have never used firewire...lol. I need a new digital camera, But i think when i buy one, it will be the nikon D90 or the canon XSI....but even then i think I would use my card reader....

cwa107 12-28-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macpwns (Post 777512)
That is a big negative.

I have yet to use the card slot in my current MBP, and I have never used firewire...lol. I need a new digital camera, But i think when i buy one, it will be the nikon D90 or the canon XSI....but even then i think I would use my card reader....

Yeah, that's the only problem I have with that model. Personally, I'm going to wait until USB 3.0 comes out. Until then, no high-speed external bus options is a non-starter for me.

Also, do note that Apple uses a lesser quality display panel in the MacBook line. Since the display panel in the MacBook Pros is decent to mediocre in my opinion, I can't imagine something worse.

BarracksBoy 12-28-2008 02:44 PM

USB 3.0?
Do you know when that's coming?

macpwns 12-28-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 777514)
Yeah, that's the only problem I have with that model. Personally, I'm going to wait until USB 3.0 comes out. Until then, no high-speed external bus options is a non-starter for me.

Also, do note that Apple uses a lesser quality display panel in the MacBook line. Since the display panel in the MacBook Pros is decent to mediocre in my opinion, I can't imagine something worse.

True...I couldn't believe the difference in screen's when i got my mbp. Mind you i went from a TFT to the LED, but still....

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarracksBoy (Post 777562)
USB 3.0?
Do you know when that's coming?

That's a good question.

cwa107 12-28-2008 03:45 PM

USB 3.0 is still in development, but apparently, the speeds will be comparable to FW800.

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would imagine that by this time next year, we'll start to see it become adopted in a number of Apple products.

macpwns 12-28-2008 03:59 PM

Well the sale for my macbook pro fell through, so it looks like there will be no new macbook for me anyways :(

cwa107 12-28-2008 04:03 PM

I'd just keep it and wait for the kinks to be worked out of the first generation new MacBooks.

macpwns 12-28-2008 04:53 PM

I have it listed in the forums :)

2.4GHZ MBP for sale :)

Khris 12-28-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macpwns (Post 777351)
I don't really care for the lit keyboard

I never thought they were a big deal either until I had to go back to a laptop without one. I will never buy another laptop unless it has a backlit keyboard.

As for the "inferior" screens which people have been complaining about, I really can't say there is ANYTHING wrong with the screen on my MacBook.

ipsdude 12-28-2008 09:32 PM

Kris is soo right

but what Kris didnt include was the price, I want to defend my new blackbook primarily becasuse my wife didnt want to spend the extra $500 bucks :(
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khris (Post 777343)
I switched from a Black MacBook and bought a new Aluminum MacBook. Best decision ever!!

-I hated how the Black MacBook showed fingerprints.....not an issue with the Aluminum model

-Black MacBook doesn't have a backlit keyboard

-Black MacBook doesn't have new glass touchpad (which works exceptionally well IMO)

macpwns 12-28-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipsdude (Post 777770)
but what Kris didnt include was the price, I want to defend my new blackbook primarily becasuse my wife didnt want to spend the extra $500 bucks :(

I can totally understand your point if cost is an issue.

Well I think I have found a buyer within the forums!!!!!

Hopefully if all goes smoothly I should have a new macbook (i've decided on aluminum) within a couple weeks!!!! Woot!