Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 4 GB/ 120 GB HDD/ 250 GB External HD
    Installing Memory
    I'm buying more memory for my computer and I'm going to install it myself to try and save a little money since memory is expensive in the first place. I found a link to this: MacBook: How to install memory. It explains how to change the memory in and out. I have never done it before but I feel pretty confident that I can manage this myself. I was just wondering if any one has any experience with this and may be able to give me any other hints or tips that may not be in the instructions. Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
    You can use the ifixit guide if you want photos Installing MacBook Core Duo RAM but otherwise the apple site will do the trick as well. I would personally buy ram from newegg.com they have the best prices in my opinion. Installing ram is really easy, and not worth paying someone lots of money to do, and it doesn't void your warranty if thats an issue. Go for it

Specs:
    MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
    one last thing to note if you have the core duo macbook like it says the max ram for that model I think is 2 gigs don't buy anything more because it won't work

Specs:
    I talked to an apple care technician about this all, they told me that if I don't buy the ram from Apple it voids my warranty. They also told me that it can take up to 4 gigs. I was planning on getting that much so i won't have to upgrade it for a while or ever. Did you mean 2 total or 2 per slot? The apple store site only sells 4 gigs total for my model. I can buy less in the store nearby but I was still going to get 4 total.

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    I had never touched the inside of a computer when I changed the memory in my macbook, but it was a piece of cake

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    That Apple care tech was full of bull and feeding you a line. Apple memory is a ripoff. Strongly advise against buying it from them. Upgrading the RAM in your Macbook does not void the warranty. They naturally will not warranty the RAM you buy from someone else.

If it is a Core Duo and not a Core 2 Duo, it will only support 2GB.
    The May 2007 and later 2.0 will support 4GB

$150 for 2GB from Apple or $300 for 4GB from Apple, vs.

$20-$47 for 2GB or $38 - $70 for 4GB from Newegg. And these are low end to top of the line.

Here is the Apple page to pick your Macbook out of the line up

Here is the OWC page. Make sure you read the asterisk notes here.

Or check the Crucial site to verify. For either the White or Black Macbook with the Core Duo, 2GB's from them is $24 and has a lifetime warranty.

You will want to keep your original RAM during the warranty period to stick it back in the machine in case you need to send it in for repairs.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    It's a core 2 Duo, I didn't notice the error in my specs. I got it November 2007; I checked the specs and it takes four. I have what's necessary for the Apple memory so I think I'm just going to go that route. Thank you for the help.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Still don't recommend that. Just put 4GB of CAS4 RAM in my MBP for $35.
    That's a lot of dinners you can take your girlfriend out for the difference.
    Or several PS3 games, or buy a new Touch with the difference.
    It is your money, but that tech was not being truthful (maybe just doesn't know, could be a newbie tech you got hold of, one of those people that don't listen while they're in training).

Specs:
     13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
    The OWC site looks really good, thanks for the link Bob. I'm gonna order BF2142 for Mac, and depending on how it runs I might upgrade to 4GB, and that site will save me a **** of a lot of money should I decide to upgrade .
     13" MacBook Air | 1.8Ghz i7 | 4GB | 256GB SSD | OS X 10.9.5 
     iPhone 5S | Gold | 32GB 

Specs:
    MacBook Pro
    Apple can void the warranty that has to do with the RAM, but cannot void the rest of the unit unless they can prove the RAM, or you installing the RAM, caused the hardware problem.

Specs:
     13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
    Well you can easily put the Apple RAM back in if you have to send it back for the warranty. Is there any way they can tell if you've installed new RAM? (Like how they see water damage on iPod Touches)
     13" MacBook Air | 1.8Ghz i7 | 4GB | 256GB SSD | OS X 10.9.5 
     iPhone 5S | Gold | 32GB 

Specs:
    13" Aluminum Macbook, 2.0 Ghz, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive.
    OKay so since this is about installing memory I'll add my question to this thread. I just got the new aluminum Macbook (2.0 ghz, 2gb ram) and I was hoping to upgrade the RAM. The mechanical side of it shouldn't be hard for me. I was just wondering if i was getting the right RAM and if I was getting it from a trusted retailer. I was looking at getting THIS. My questions are: Is Crucial a trusted retailer? Is that the type of ram (I presumed DDR3 was correct) I need for my new aluminum Macbook? And is $125.00 for four gigs a legitimate price?
    Xbox 360 gamertag: AoW buckeyenut

Currently playing: Gears of War 2

Specs:
    Crucial is a well respected manufacturer of RAM.

You can save $10 by getting it from Newegg instead of direct from Crucial.

I would prefer the Crucial out of those listed on that page. However, many would also recommend the G.Skill and mushkin.

Specs:
    13" Aluminum Macbook, 2.0 Ghz, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Crucial is a well respected manufacturer of RAM.

You can save $10 by getting it from Newegg instead of direct from Crucial.

I would prefer the Crucial out of those listed on that page. However, many would also recommend the G.Skill and mushkin.
    Oh sweet. Thanks for the heads up. I may look on TigerDirect and hopefully they have Crucial because they have an outlet less than a half hour away.
    Xbox 360 gamertag: AoW buckeyenut

Currently playing: Gears of War 2

Specs:
    Alu 2.4 Macbook, 4gb Ram, 250gb hdd
    What is the difference between DDR2 and DDR3? I noticed on apple.com they come with DDR3, but am wondering if putting in a 2 will hinder performance. Is the only difference price?.. Also, I am about to get a macbook, and am scared sh*tless of opening up a $1500 investment with no prior experience...

Thread Information