New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Really need help, Back up.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ta70s

ta70s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MacBook, iPhone & div.

Hi, I tried to update my macbook witch work fine until the restart came and the macbook shut its self down right after the gray apple logo. So I started it up again, no luck. Tried the start up disc, repair disk. It said it cant fix it or something not sure. So I booted of a 3 Month old back up. At the desktop I get a message:

"Disk Repair"
The disk "Mac HD" was not repairable by this computer. It is being made availble to you with lmited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disk as soon as possible.

So How do I back up the HD of my macbook when I booted up from my External HD. And what is the problem with my Macbook?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Well, since you already have a backup that you're booted off of. Just grab any files that have been added or changed since the last backup and move them over to the external.

It's possible that your internal hard drive is going bad. Run the Apple Hardware Test to make sure it's healthy.

If it is indeed OK, you should be able to boot from your System Discs and erase the internal hard disk and install OS X. Then, use the Migration Assistant to pull your data over to the fresh install from the backup drive.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ta70s

I get anything from the internal HD I cant drag anything out of the nternal HD, the back up I am running from is 4 months old so I really need to save the data.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

I'm having a similar problem; however, when I try to run Apple Hardware Test by holding down the "D" key with the install disc in the drive, the computer just starts up normally (off the CD). Is there an alternate way to access Hardware Test?

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
ta70s

I just tried to repair disk, HD, off the start up disc and got this:
First Aid failed

Disk Utility stopped repairing "Mac HD" because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit

What dose this mean?
QUOTE Thanks
ta70s

How can I copy everthing from the Internal HD to an External HD when I'm booted off a External HD?

Please Help.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta70s View Post
I just tried to repair disk, HD, off the start up disc and got this:
First Aid failed

Disk Utility stopped repairing "Mac HD" because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit

What dose this mean?
Sounds like the hard drive might be bad. Try the Apple Hardware Test as I mentioned earlier, so we know what we're dealing with.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
I'm having a similar problem; however, when I try to run Apple Hardware Test by holding down the "D" key with the install disc in the drive, the computer just starts up normally (off the CD). Is there an alternate way to access Hardware Test?
There should be two discs. Make sure you're using disc one. Also, hold the Option key down instead and choose the disc as your boot device. If the disc doesn't appear, it's either damaged or the wrong one.

QUOTE Thanks
ta70s

I did the Extended Hardware Test and got: NO troubles found

Then I performed the repair disk utility and got: The underlying task reported failure on exit, again.

Then Utilities, start up disk but could not select the Internal Hard Drive.

What is the problem? How can I save the data on the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
ta70s

Also Is there a way to boot my iMac from the MacBook?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I did the Extended Hardware Test and got: NO troubles found

Then I performed the repair disk utility and got: The underlying task reported failure on exit, again.

Then Utilities, start up disk but could not select the Internal Hard Drive.

What is the problem? How can I save the data on the drive.
Try doing a filesystem repair:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Mac OS X Troubleshooting Guide
When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in exit and it will start the computer in normal mode

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Also Is there a way to boot my iMac from the MacBook?
Yes, you can do Target disk mode, but you'll need a special cable.

QUOTE Thanks
ta70s

After I typed /sbin/fsck -f in I got:
** /dev/rdisk0s2
** Root file system
** Checking Journaled HFS lus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
Keys out of order
(4, 30911)
** Rebuilding Catalog B-tree.
** The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
:/ root#
QUOTE Thanks
ta70s

Also in Disk Utility the volume Machintosh HD is not writen in black but in light gray. What does this mean? Please Help!
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I don't know that you're going to be able to recover that drive without some more powerful tools. You might want to give Paragon's Rescue Kit a try, not sure if it's still in Beta, but it was free at one point.

If not, your best bet would be something like DiskWarrior, although it's not cheap.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« in need of desperate help macbook and lcd | MacBook start-up peculiarity »