New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro (Newest Style) Won't boot to Leopard DVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nightwolf0829

nightwolf0829 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys! I just got my new christmas present, the New Macbook Pro (With dual video cards). I want to re-install Leopard on a larger HDD, but my 'book will not boot to the DVD. It is used, with no apple care. I have tried Holding c/Cmd-c. I reset the PRAM and SMC. I've read as much as I can but nothing will work. The leopard DVD I have is the "generic" install from my Macbook(Black 2.0). Is there a new DVD or something I'm missing? The Leopard Disk works, I just used it to reformat my Macbook and no problems whatsoever.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Justin

Macbook Pro- 2.53ghz 4GB DDR Ram, My NEW Baby
Macbook (black)- 2.0Ghz, 2GB DDR RAM, 320GB HDD - *Sold*
Powebook G4- 400Mhz, Oldie
iBook G3- Torq. 344mhz, 256mb ram. Unused.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The disk that shipped with your Macbook will not install on the MBP. It is system specific. Should have obtained the disks that came with the MBP. If not, you can call Apple for a replacement set (have read that they're about $30) or you can buy a retail copy of Leopard.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf0829 View Post
Hey guys! I just got my new christmas present, the New Macbook Pro (With dual video cards). I want to re-install Leopard on a larger HDD, but my 'book will not boot to the DVD. It is used, with no apple care. I have tried Holding c/Cmd-c. I reset the PRAM and SMC. I've read as much as I can but nothing will work. The leopard DVD I have is the "generic" install from my Macbook(Black 2.0). Is there a new DVD or something I'm missing? The Leopard Disk works, I just used it to reformat my Macbook and no problems whatsoever.

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Justin
That "used" Mac can be no older than 4 months or so. How can you not have the DVD? As the other poster said, you can order the DVD. Or, you can install the new drive as external, and use superduper to clone.
QUOTE Thanks
nightwolf0829

I'm going to be honest, i'm not entirely sure. My parents got it for me, and they told me it was used. My dad is friends with a guy from Apple, so i'm not sure. I'm trying to obtain a new Leopard install disk now. It's not as though I got a box or anything with it. Is there maybe something that I could have done to it?

-J

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I think you will just have to be patient and wait for the replacement disks, tho your dads friend may be able to source some restore disks

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
nightwolf0829

Yeah, unfortunately. I wish there was an Apple Leopard (replacement) download available.

Thanks Guys
-J

QUOTE Thanks
nightwolf0829

Okay, I went and bought a NEW Leopard Install DVD. 10.4 That doesn't work either. I acutally have my drive installed in a friends' Macbook to update it to 10.5.6... I'm going to call apple care in the AM. for replacement disks.

Thanks
J

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

10.4 is Tiger and not Leopard. When you do get the proper DVD that goes with that machine, you hold C not Command+C right after the startup sound.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Even a retail Leopard install disc OSX 10.5. may not work if the Mac came with OSX 10.5.2. or newer installed as mine did. The OS discs need to be newer than the system the Mac came with. You can't go backwards.

The Mac's own discs are preferable and you get iLife included too.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
nightwolf0829

Well, I called Apple, and they wern't very helpful. Who can blame them, The Mac isn't in my name, so they won't send me the discs. It needs 10.5.5 or newer. 10.5.4 will not work. I bought 10.5.4 new, and it doesn't work. I'm going to try and contact the previous owner, but he moved away because of family issues. I wish it was easier...

Thanks Guys!
-Jus'

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another macbook pro overheating? | disk utility probs... »