New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Hosed by MacConnection...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kbalch

kbalch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB

I'm still too upset to type much, but I want to get this down. Briefly, I'm looking to buy a new MBP (2.53Ghz, 4gb, 320gb model). MacConnection advertised a price of $2199 after rebate, with no shipping and no tax. I emailed them last Tuesday (12/16) to inquire about how long their sales price would be in effect. I received an email the following day which said that the sales price would be in effect until December 31st.

I called to place the order today and found out that the price is now $2349 after rebate. Eric, a MacConnection supervisor, read the email I'd been sent, but refused to honor the price. He claimed some BS about Apple raising the price, but the bottom line is that he wouldn't honor the commitment made to me by whomsoever on his team answered my email.

BEWARE of MacConnection. They do NOT honor their commitments. They are liars and frauds. Now, I realize that others may have had a different experience with them and that my sample of one is too small for generalizations, but the point is that they are, at best unpredictable and unreliable. Caveat Emptor...

Ken

A senior manager from MacConnection responded to say that they would absolutely honor the price in the email. He apologized for what was essentially a training issue, saying that the supervisor who denied me earlier was simply mistaken and that the email was functionally the same as a formal quote. I successfully placed the order and am now waiting for my new MBP. If the computer is as represented, then I'll be happy. For now, consider me guardedly optimistic.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

So a small mistake on their part has gotten you to declare a well respected company to be liars and frauds, and even after the mistake has been rectified, you have not retracted your earlier statement.

Looks like you should put a warning label at the bottom of your own posts that you are prone to the melodramatic and post in the heat of the moment, so readers beware.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
pphil09

pphil09 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Aluminum, 4gb DDR3 Ram, 250 GB Hard Drive

I would be upset also.
QUOTE Thanks
kbalch

kbalch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
So a small mistake on their part has gotten you to declare a well respected company to be liars and frauds, and even after the mistake has been rectified, you have not retracted your earlier statement.

Looks like you should put a warning label at the bottom of your own posts that you are prone to the melodramatic and post in the heat of the moment, so readers beware.
Actually, it was a $150 difference. Not a 'small' mistake - at least not to me. The principle was even more important. A company that won't stand behind their quotes are, indeed, liars and frauds.

I acknowledged that my sample of one wasn't significant, but I think that 'Caveat Emptor' is always good advice, no matter how 'respected' a particular company may be.

I edited my post to say that I was guardedly optimistic, but did not wish to redact my original text. The error of the supervisor with whom I originally spoke (not just a front line person, but a supervisor, no less) was, to me, egregious. People should note that, in at least this one instance, MacConnection had a serious training issue with one employee.

You read one post of mine and have already made a judgement about behavior to which I'm 'prone'. Talk about a sample of one. Let's see: read one post, render a snap judgement, include verbiage about appending warnings to my future posts. Doesn't sound any more well-reasoned and/or carefully considered than you suggested I had been...

Ken
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well now we have read two posts....................
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

It is frustrating when you are dealing with that kind of money. Hopefully, everything gets straightened out for you.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
Actually, it was a $150 difference. Not a 'small' mistake - at least not to me.
I'm sorry, how exactly are you out $150? You hadn't bought anything from them. The damage to you was probably fifteen minutes of your time, no money at all.

If you'd actually bought something from them and then they tried to charge you another $150, then you should be upset. But you lost nothing, even before the company decided to make good.

Calm down, and save your rants for when someone actually does something that impacts you.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Wow.....all I can say is Karma sneaks up on you when you least expect it.

You have absolutely no right to say "They do NOT honor their commitments. They are liars and frauds." about MacConnection because you have no reasonable grounds to make those statements since they *DID* honor their commitment.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Rant threads just get more and more pathetic.

kbalch said 'I'm still too upset to type much, but I want to get this down.'

Would you get a grip? You must be pretty emotionally screwed to be this upset over a small price confusion!! The first guy on the phone obviously had it set in his mind that was the price for the MBP and thought you were wrong - he represents a large company and has to adhere to rules. It's absolutely pathetic the way you start and go on to call them fraudsters and liars. If you really believe that then I think you need to see someone about your emotional issues and how upset you get when the price of a MBP alters $150 you pansy.
QUOTE Thanks
SBrady

SBrady is on a distinguished road

Ken,

I'm Director of E-Commerce for PCConnection.com / MacConnection.com and just came across your post.

I'm sorry to hear that your initial experience with us wasn't great. I checked in with our Customer Service team earlier this afternoon and they confirmed that the pricing discrepancy was a training oversight on our part, but that your order was shipped and at the price you were given via email.

According to our records, your shipment was delivered on the 26th. If there's anything else amiss, please don't hesitate to contact the Customer Service Manager you spoke with and we'll be happy to get you all taken care of.

Again, I'm sorry to read that your order was a bit rocky when you first contacted us, but we really appreciate your patience and we're hoping you enjoy your new MBP!

Regards,

Seth
PCConnection.com / MacConnection.com
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

rectified then?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

So, you get the notebook, at the quoted price, in 3 days time including a holiday, and no response to let anyone know they took very good care of you?

Several days later? Bet that first post was less than 5 minutes after you got off the phone.

Oftentimes it's best to have at least a little reflection prior to putting your words down for posterity.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro out of space / external hard drive help | Disgusted with the MBP audio quality »