New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - help in purchasing a new macbook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

3lud3r

3lud3r is on a distinguished road

hello out there!

Ive come to a crossroads in what seems like an everlasting quest to purchase my first apple computer. ive decided on choosing the macbook as i believe it is most suited to my needs. However my final problem is choosing between two different packages. The first package is the 2.0ghz with an upgraded 4gb of memory or the 2.4ghz as standard. i dont really know which one to choose, so this is where i turn to you guys on which one will be more beneficial for me.

by the way i use my laptop at the moment for general web browsing, a bit of gaming, music, photos and of course my uni assignments which i can sometimes have up to 5 or 6 PDF's open as well as word, itunes and the web.

cheers heaps!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

either one will suit your needs easily. the 2.4 will give you a smidge more performance that you may not even need or notice. and since memory is upgradable - typically for cheaper than apple adds it for, you can easily upgrade the 2.4 later at your leisure.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And don't buy memory from Apple. Get it aftermarket. Much cheaper. You can buy 4GB kits under $40 vs the $150 Apple wants just to upgrade from 2 to 4.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jpics

jpics is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53

I got the 2.4, i love the backlit keyboard

15" MacBook Pro Aluminum, 2.53G / iPhone 3G 16G Black/TimeCapsule 1TB back up and media server/Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
Whoever said that money cant buy happiness hasnt been to an Apple store 
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
And don't buy memory from Apple. Get it aftermarket. Much cheaper. You can buy 4GB kits under $40 vs the $150 Apple wants just to upgrade from 2 to 4.
That's not the case with DDR3 RAM. The cheapest 4GB DDR3 is around 95 bucks.

Yes cheaper than getting them from apple, however that wasn't the case when they first introduced the new MBs. DDR3 from Apple was almost the same as buying them from 3rd party vendors.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

go for the 2.4 it so much nicer, IMHO then the 2.0
QUOTE Thanks
DaveySch

DaveySch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13.3" 2.4Ghz

go for the 2.4 one, you can upgrade ram later by a much lower price than the one apple gives, while your processor... not so much.
QUOTE Thanks
3lud3r

3lud3r is on a distinguished road

done. youve all sealed the deal!
cheers heaps for your help, soon i will be typing on my new mac!
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Check out Amazon for 150 off
QUOTE Thanks
pphil09

pphil09 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Aluminum, 4gb DDR3 Ram, 250 GB Hard Drive

I bought the 2.4 and love it, but I have a screen flicker arrrrggghhhh
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphil09 View Post
I bought the 2.4 and love it, but I have a screen flicker arrrrggghhhh
That's not normal. You should get that checked out. If they can't fix it, demand a new one.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
pphil09

pphil09 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Aluminum, 4gb DDR3 Ram, 250 GB Hard Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
That's not normal. You should get that checked out. If they can't fix it, demand a new one.
I just called and apparently I cant just take it to an Apple store to replace it so its going to be flickering for a week more, and im going to be without a computer for probably just as long
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keep mcbp from sleeping on lid close | New nvidia drivers? »