Thread: Which Macbook?

Which Macbook?
    I have a chance to purchase one of the following, at the following pricepoints, and was wondering which would be a better choice for me.

Option 1: $750
    Macbook Pro (1st Generation) 15.4''
    80 GB HD
    1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
    1 GB Ram (Free Slot)
    SuperDrive

Option 2: $600
    Macbook (1st Generation) 13.3''
    200 GB HD (Hitachi 7200rpm)
    2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo
    2 GB Ram

Please help! The main difference, I guess is the Pro vs. not Pro, but Option 2 seems the better choice considering I would have to upgrade the Ram and HD of option 1.

normal macbooks never came with a 15" screen, are you sure the second isn't a macbook pro as well?

consider that hard drives and memory are really the only thing you can upgrade on a macbook or macbook pro, so don't factor those in too heavily. go by screen, graphics and chipset according to your needs.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Whoops! Typo on my part. It is 13.3''.

I don't plan to game on the Mac, just watch movies and download music for the most part. Might dabble in making videos, but nothing too serious.

well, if you don't need the screen, the macbook should be fine, but only a $150 dollar difference, i might go for the pro, you can always add memory and HD.

the other consideration would be the condition. are they both in tip top shape? do they both come with original restore media and/or a new copy of leopard?
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
    for only $150 a MBP is the way to go imho...

Do either have any applecare?
    Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13

Specs:
    15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB
    Take the Macbook Pro anyday just because of the graphics card which is only on the pro the CPU difference is miniscule. The ram and the hard drive can be upgraded later and when Snow Leopard comes out you will really notice the difference on the Pro because of OpenCL which will let the GPU do calculations as well as the CPU while the Macbook has to stick with the Integrated Graphics (Excluding the Unibody MB's of Course)
    I find the best way to locate rogue DHCP servers is to send 240V down the appropriate port. Follow the smoke.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by halo200 View Post
    ...The ram and the hard drive can be upgraded later and when Snow Leopard comes out you will really notice the difference on the Pro because of OpenCL which will let the GPU do calculations as well as the CPU while the Macbook has to stick with the Integrated Graphics (Excluding the Unibody MB's of Course)
    New Unibody MB still has to shared memory.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Thread Information