New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - MacBook emitting smoke...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PauliePower

PauliePower is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook (unibody) 2.4, 2gb RAM, 250gb HD

This is my first post, I needed some advice on this so just signed up.

Last night, the smoke alarm went off in my house. I put it down to some errant candles and left it at that. This morning though, when I went to turn on my Macbook, I found this:

It was running last night when it did this. Strangely, it still works perfectly, and smcfancontrol isn't reporting anything out of the ordinary.

It's a year-and-a-half old, and spends most of the time whilst I'm at home plugged into an LCD tv, but I always keep the lid open. The battery is still fine too.

Anyone have any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Might take it to an Apple store. They may want to fix it for free as this is a fire hazard.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd144 View Post
...take it to an Apple store. They may want to fix it for free ...
If the machine is out of warranty, then that scenario is highly unlikely.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauliePower View Post
It was running last night when it did this. Strangely, it still works perfectly, and smcfancontrol isn't reporting anything out of the ordinary. It's a year-and-a-half old, and spends most of the time whilst I'm at home plugged into an LCD tv, but I always keep the lid open. The battery is still fine too. Anyone have any suggestions?
A filtering capacitor may have burned open either in the power supply or possibly elsewhere. Typically when this happens, it emits a good amount of smoke until the capacitor opens and no longer conducts.

Depending on where it's located in the PS circuitry, it may or may not impact on the operation of the machine. However, without knowing what caused that to happen (might just have been component failure) or if something else may have been damaged, I would take it on in to Apple and let them look at it. If the machine is still under warranty you probably won't be charged for the service.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
PauliePower

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
It's a year and a half old, so I suspect that this is correct. I'll keep an eye on it, and see if it behaves. Is it worth getting someone to take it to bits and see what happened? Could be as simple as some dust getting caught. As I said previous, it still works perfectly, so it's not like any important components have failed.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

(Note to self...Do not buy any any used Macbooks on ebay from PauliePower.)
QUOTE Thanks
PauliePower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
A filtering capacitor may have burned open either in the power supply or possibly elsewhere. Typically when this happens, it emits a good amount of smoke until the capacitor opens and no longer conducts.

Depending on where it's located in the PS circuitry, it may or may not impact on the operation of the machine. However, without knowing what caused that to happen (might just have been component failure) or if something else may have been damaged, I would take it on in to Apple and let them look at it. If the machine is still under warranty you probably won't be charged for the service.
Ooops, totally missed this. I've cleaned the smoke damage off now, but will take it to the local Apple Store this weekend and get it checked over.

Why does this have to happen when I'm broke???
QUOTE Thanks
amrk48

amrk48 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
not really

unless Apple wants to get sued, they are going to fix it for free

think before you type
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Apple sued for a machine way out of warranty. Did it catch on fire? Did it burn down the house?

To the OP, do have it checked. That does not sound very good and I feel that chscag is on the right track as to what happened.
QUOTE Thanks
ViriiGuy

ViriiGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
To the OP, do have it checked. That does not sound very good and I feel that chscag is on the right track as to what happened.
I agree completely. I would also like ot add, that ANYTIME any electronics smoke... or burn.. you should STOP using them right away. At least until you have it checked out. The risk of it catching on fire later on is too great.

Just 2 months ago, a regular client of mine noticed some smoke coming from his power supply in his tower. He turned off the computer and looked everything over. It seemed ok, so he powered it back on. All was working fine, so he decided to continue using it. That weekend he left town with his wife for a couple days. On Saturday night, they received a call.. Their house had burnt to the ground. The computer was later determined to be the culprit.

Moral of the story, never EVER trust electronics that have smoked. $200 today, could save you THOUSANDS tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

ErikJenkins1187 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

You got lucky, it's a filtering cap. Sometimes when they blow, they SHORT, then your MacBook will become a brick, unlucky scenario. If it blows OPEN, your OK, essentially what a cap is an open in a circuit, it will not filter as well but the unit will usually work OK. This will add noise into whatever it was filtering though, have Apple check it out!!
QUOTE Thanks
wshowell

wshowell is on a distinguished road

Your Macbook might still be under a warranty, not apple but through your credit card. I charge everything on either my AMEX and VISA and pay it off in full each month. Both my AMEX (Costco) and Visa double the warranty on anything I own up to an additional year for free. I bought a digital camera with a one year warranty, when the flash stopped working I called Visa. They told me to go get a repair estimate and fax them the estimate to. The camera cost $225 and to repair the estimate was $200. I faxed it in and they offered me the $200 repair estimate credited back on my card. I took them up on the offer and I was able to buy a better camera for the $200 at Costco using one of their coupons. So, if you charged your purchase of your Macbook you should contact them and determine if they will cover the repairs. I've used this two times now, digital camera and a Linksys router that developed a short. They didn't even ask for an estimate and just refunded my $110 for the router. Even crazier is they let me keep the digital camera, works great in the day just no flash at night so it's good for day hiking trips etc.
QUOTE Thanks
PauliePower

Right, it's now with Apple.

And for a laugh, here's my receipt thing. Am loving the description.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82...mac/img001.jpg

(It's full size).
QUOTE Thanks
tcphoto

tcphoto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP

I would not have cleaned it up before going to the Genius Bar. He/she must not be paid by the letter for that description

www.tcphoto.org
http://web.mac.com/tcphoto1/Fashion/Fashion.html
Unibody MBP, iPhone, Canon 1DsII, Profoto and most important, Imagination!
QUOTE Thanks
PauliePower

Think they just wanted rid of me.

What happened:
Them: Is it still in warranty?
Me: No, it's a year and a half old.
Them: *Condescending* Didn't you take the extended warranty?
Me: *Annoyed, and rather loudly* No, I DIDN'T EXPECT IT TO CATCH FIRE.
(Bearing in mind it's a very busy store the week before Christmas).

I will report on developments as it goes. Last question: if this happened to anyone else, even though it's not in warranty, would anyone expect to have to pay out?

I know I shouldn't really have cleaned it, but they should see the extend of the damage when they get the lid off, there's black soot coming out of the keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MB won't wake up | Sudden Motion Sensor Too Sensitive? »