New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - New Aluminum Macbook.. or not?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jester2893

Jester2893 is on a distinguished road

Currently I have an HP laptop, which is decent to me. I have had a couple problems with it freezing and locking up a lot, and its only a few months old. I payed 700 for it and its got decent specs for the price.

I am perfectly fine with keeping my laptop as it has treated me pretty well, but my parents are looking for a new computer and they really like mine. I offered to give them my laptop, if they bought off me and my mom suggested about 400-450$ for it.

I thought about it and after the holidays come, I am considering doing this and picking up a macbook. Now I will be on a limited budget and everything so most likely ether way, I won't be able to pick up a "new" macbook. I will however be buying something with a warranty left.

Now my question to everyone is, for someone who does mild video editing, projects for school and browse the internet. Should I shell out the money for the newer macbook aluminum? I like the newer macbooks looks and feel and everything, but I am not sure if it would be worth the extra coin to have the nicer looking laptop.

What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Well you could always use that money to finance your purchase of a used Aluminum MB.

If you just do light video editing, doing it on the older Generation White MB is pretty much the same as it would be on the new MBs. Just that you will be missing a firewire port.

The older and new MB still have to share Memory with the video card. However the newer MB does have a better video card. That's the only real reason why I would get the new MB. Everything else is marginal faster than the MB that I have now. All the other stuff is mostly cosmetic.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Jester2893

Jester2893 is on a distinguished road

If I upgraded the ram on the older macbook, would it be able to compare to the newer MBs with the better graphics card?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2893 View Post
If I upgraded the ram on the older macbook, would it be able to compare to the newer MBs with the better graphics card?
The new aluminum MacBook uses a faster nVidia graphics chipset which also accommodates more memory. That increases its graphic capability and graphic speed to 10X that of the previous generation MacBook.

Also, the newer aluminum MacBook has a faster front end BUS and uses faster memory (DDR3).

If gaming and graphic applications are primarily what you intend to use the machine for, then get the newer aluminum MacBook. Increasing the system memory on an older MacBook to the maximum 4 GB will not bring it up to par as far as speed goes with the newer model.

The latest issue of Mac World has some very good comparisons of both machines. You can read the reviews on line at: Apple, Mac, iPod and iPhone News, Reviews, Help and Tips | Macworld

The only cons, IMO for the newer machines are the higher cost and the lack of a firewire port.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

I've got one of the new Unibody MacBooks and absolutely love it! It's fast, it runs much cooler than my Black MacBook, and the glass trackpad is amazing!!

If you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend the new MacBook....specifically the 2.4ghz because of the backlit keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
AudiSportB5S4

AudiSportB5S4 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: New Aluminum Macbook!

I just picked my aluminum macbook up, it is insane. I used to have the alum. powerbook G4 back in the day when that was awesome, but this new computer makes me remember why I love Apple so much. I just got off from a Lenovo T61 before that I had a X61 for a bit, they don't compare to Apples at all... Everything works in with eachother, and there are never any problems! What more can you want.. ? :-p
QUOTE Thanks
sdelahunt

sdelahunt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iBook 1 ghz 512 mb. G4 eMac 1.25 ghs 80 GB HD

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a white MB or an aluminum one. My only thought is the lack of a firewire in the aluminum. I have one idea to fix this but it's only hypothetical. If anyone knows if this would fix it or not, please tell me. I have a 500gb mybook external HD. It has 2 firewire ports on the back. If I plugged the HD into the USB port would I then be able to plug my camera into the firewire port and import?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelahunt View Post
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a white MB or an aluminum one. My only thought is the lack of a firewire in the aluminum. I have one idea to fix this but it's only hypothetical. If anyone knows if this would fix it or not, please tell me. I have a 500gb mybook external HD. It has 2 firewire ports on the back. If I plugged the HD into the USB port would I then be able to plug my camera into the firewire port and import?
Nope. The extra firewire jack is for to allow you to "daisy chain" multiple firewire devices. It won't act as a convertor from USB to firewire
QUOTE Thanks
macfan76

macfan76 is on a distinguished road

Man, I'm really in love with how these babies look...I can only hope I can scrape together the funds to buy one within the next few weeks. From all that I've read, I would definitely suggest a new aluminum Macbook.

I'm a tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
conortist

conortist is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: none yet, but hoping for Al MB 2.0GHz

I, too, am thinking of getting a new MacBook and have been considering the Aluminium 2.0GHz over the White 2.0GHz.

I know people are very enthusiastic about the 2.4GHz Illuminated keyboard but I don't think I could justify spending that much more when all I would need is the standard MB. I am a student into photography, short video editing and need office etc for uni work. I've never had to use a fireport so that's not important, i think.

For the same price as the A'ium MB 2GB ROM 160GB HD you can get the White MB with 4GB DDR2 250GB HD (according to Apple website). The size of the hard-drive doesn't interest me too much cus you can get really large external HD for dirt cheap these days but the extra RAM tempts me. Would it be worth getting over the 2GB DDR3?

My heart's set on the Al'ium MB because it looks the part and all the hipe surrounding it, unless I can be strongely convinced the White MB is better value for money. I would love any advice on the matter.
QUOTE Thanks
walkum13

walkum13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)

Get the AL for structural integrity. Less joints= less creaking + no cracking. However, AL is more expensive than Poly Carbonate so if you were to dent it, expect to pay more for a case. Another plus on the AL is that if you dont like it, you could turn around and sell it easier than the white one. OH, the trackpad is the greatest thing ever. I get frustrated now when I have to use another trackpad. It's amazing. GO AL!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need buying advice | quick advice please..... »