New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Problem recognizing DVD -R media

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kingmob66

kingmob66 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro (2.2ghz core 2 duo) running OSX 10.5.6, equipped with a HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N DVD drive.

I've run into a strange problem. When inserting blank DVD -R media, the drive spins the disks for a minute or so before spitting them out. Obviously, this makes burning DVDs nearly impossible.

Here are some additional details and some of the steps I've taken.

--Already burned DVDs (program discs, Movies, etc.) work in the drive just fine
--the drive will recognize (and Burn) DVD -RW media
--I am using DVD -R media from a spool of blanks that I've used within the last 6-8 months.
--I've tried rebooting--repairing permissions and rebooting, but neither of these steps have worked.

It seems odd that -RW media would work and not -R...almost like a pref file has been corrupted. Has anyone had an experience like this that they've resolved? Anyone have any guesses on how to fix it?

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Yeah I have. Try a different brand. Many people have had this problem and then try another brand and they are ok.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
kingmob66

Actually, i used this brand a few months earlier. It's not a generic media (Verbatim) and i have burned many discs using this brand. Unless my Macbook's drive has just developed a distaste for the disks, i still think there is a problem at the software (OS) or hardware (hopefully not!) level...
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

I think that trying another brand is a good idea. Maybe you have a bad batch. It is worth a try but I think that you are right though.

What software are you using?

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
kingmob66

Again, i don't think its the media because I had used 3/4 of the spool with this computer (and it burned them fine). Since I last burned dvd-r's I've done several software updates and a firmware update... so I'm wondering if it a corrupted pref file...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well just ignore all the advice and keep going.
QUOTE Thanks
kingmob66

I'm not ignoring advice--I have tried other brands and they do not work either. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether or not there was a quick fix for this problem--or if i'll have to sent my notebook out to mac...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help me choose! | closing the lid screen... »