New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - iMac memory in Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mooseh

Mooseh is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have (just last weekend) purchased a 24' iMac that come with 2gb ram (SoDIMM). My boss has a MBP that is less that 6mths old, but only has 1gb or Ram.

When I got my iMac, I purchsed a 2x2gb SODIMM's to upgrade my memory, so my question to you fine folk is. Will the old SODIMM's from my iMac work in his MBP?

Thanks in advance.
Moose
QUOTE Thanks
rembrandt

rembrandt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro

Not necessarily... You will need to check that they memory modules are in fact the same as they can be different. A quick check is to go to your Apple icon menu > then about this mac... you will see the memory type something like

1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

You might find that the new iMacs are 800MHz and the Macbook Pro is 667 MHz depending on exactly how old it is.
QUOTE Thanks
Mooseh

Mooseh is on a distinguished road

Thanks rembrandt

Being new to Mac, do they work the same that if you were to say put 800mhz ram in to a machine that only support 667hmz, it will still work but at the lower speed?
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseh View Post
Thanks rembrandt

Being new to Mac, do they work the same that if you were to say put 800mhz ram in to a machine that only support 667hmz, it will still work but at the lower speed?
Yes it will work at a slower speed. It's the same thing as putting PC2-5300 & PC2-4300 together, the PC2-5300 will run at 533mhz, as apposed to 667hmz.

All Motherboards (or Logic Boards to Apple) will work with the highest rated memory, and will always work with memory that is rated lower than the max.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing new RAM in new MacBook? | 1600x1200 »