New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - gray screen on boot with chime, but no apple logo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alatas04

alatas04 is on a distinguished road

i have had my PB for some time now and i have recently replaced my HD with a new one since it was failing. i was booting the computer off an external HD for a while before that one crashed as well. when i boot up the PB off the OSX tiger disk, since i don't have the original boot disk, all i get is a gray screen. it chimes in and reads the inserted disk, but it remains at a gray screen and no apple logo the LCD does turn on as well as the back light, but is somewhat dim in my opinion. i have reset the PMU, PRAM, help Option on boot up, help C on boot up, command-option-shift-delete to force boot from the disk, basically everything and yet all i get is a gray screen. i have tried hooking it up to an external display and still all i get is a gray screen. so i went back and check all the connections formatted the new internal drive in a external enclosure with my IMAC, still the same. i even went the apple store and they tried booting it off an external disk and the display remained gray and no apple logo appeared. just need a second opinion on this one for help.

Powerbook G4 1.33 12.1"
IMAC 2.4 20"
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Is this the original Tiger disk that came with that machine or a black coloured retail install DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
alatas04

alatas04 is on a distinguished road

it originally came panther, so this is a retail family pack disk, with 2 licenses's left. i have done a fresh install before just using this disk.

Powerbook G4 1.33 12.1"
IMAC 2.4 20"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "more" option freezes everything (contexual menu option problems) | Can't eject disk - am I stuffed? »