New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Hard drive invisible; cannot install OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrbartwig

mrbartwig is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook, Intel based, purchased in 2007. Last week, I got the gray screen of death (probably from moving my Mac before it went all the way to sleep). I ran disk repair and had the "Invalid B-tree node size" and "Volume needs to be repaired." I searched all kinds of forums and tried everything, but what finally worked was a Zero out Erase. Disk Utility then repaired the drive, and I was happy.
But, now when I go to reinstall OS X off the Disk, when I get to "Select a Destination" there is NOTHING there. There is no drive to select. How can I reinstall OS X? Anyone? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

You need to make sure your harddrive is formatted in HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaling) and has a GUID partition table.

Boot into your OS X disk, choose Disk Utility, and click on your Harddrive, and create a new Partition with a GUID table.

Once that is done, you should be able to install OS X without any problems.
QUOTE Thanks
mrbartwig

mrbartwig is on a distinguished road

Perfect. It worked. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
PatLem

PatLem is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook, Intel based, purchased in 2007. I suddenly got a grey screen with the sign of death. I tried to reinstall the system (Leopard) from the CD, but the computer does not see the hard disk. I tried disk utility but it does not see the hard disk either.

I understand form several posts that this may mean the disk is dead, or that somehow its formatting/GUID partition table went wrong. However, in most cases the posts were too technical for me to understand what I should do to solve my problem....

Could someone explain me in simple terms how I could test whether the disk is OK, and if it is, how I could have access to it to check its format/partition table?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can Someone Plz Help | Software won't install onto my MacBook Pro's hard drive »