New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Flight Simulator X performance?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ytaimaishu

ytaimaishu is on a distinguished road

Hey guys my first post. I haven't read through the posts and may be asking a question that has already been asked. I'm in a bit of a hurry and apologize ahead of time...

I'm wanting to buy a new macbook pro fully upgraded minus the 2.8 processor. I wanted to know how well it would handle Micorsoft Flight Simulator X in bootcamp. I know it can run it, I just want an idea of how well. I may go out and buy a "gaming" pc if it's not exceptional, but really want os x. It's important to me becuase I'm a "real life" pilot and want a descent experience playing it. If you could give me your honest opinion on a scale of 1-10? (1 being "unplayable" and 10 being "flawless") your feedback would be greatly appreciated. These are the requirements and I know it technically blows it away but my question is mostly based on graphics performance:

# Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista
# PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
# 256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
# 14 GB available hard disk space
# DVD-ROM drive
# 32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required

By the way if I get this it will be my first mac and am pretty excited about it. My computer I'm using now is 5 years old and is an absolute crap-shoot, so I'm pumped about getting a new computer! Any help is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If you're a real life pilot you'll probably forget about MS Flight Simulator after you try this one:

X Plane = X-Plane, by Austin Meyer

And, it's made for OS X. Windows not needed!

BTW, MS FS will work fine with your MBP.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I'm a 'Real Pilot' too (though out of currency, in both ways of the term; also how do you know a pilot is in the room? He'll tell you. *rimshot*)

Anyway I'd second that X Plane recommendation. A MBP should be able to handle it fine between the graphics acceleration, the processors and memory config. My Macbook definitely can't otherwise I'd be using it too, but X Plane is a much more realistic simulator. Granted I will say that back in the day Microsoft's flight simulator of the day got me familiar with how airplane handle pretty well. Despite what my instructor told me.

(I ditched that instructor for a better one after my first flight.)
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Tex-Twil has a spectacular aura about

@ytaimaishu,
I tried FSX on my late 08 (512 VRAM, 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM) and it was working quite ok. I think I had around 20-30 fps with almost all settings maxed but I wasn't flying in cities so it might be much less. On the other hand, I haven't done any config tweaking (edit: this one seems to be more complete) which enhance a lot the performances.

I recently switched to OSX and I've never tried X-Plane. After reading your posts, I'm very excited to try. Unfortunately I'm not a real pilot but I hope I will get a license one day

regards,
Tex
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Well,
I was very excited by this new simulator that I didnt know before and yesterday I tried the demo on my MBP. I must say that I was a bit disappointed by the physics of the plane behaviour
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-Twil View Post
Well,
I was very excited by this new simulator that I didnt know before and yesterday I tried the demo on my MBP. I must say that I was a bit disappointed by the physics of the plane behaviour
What, you can't barrel roll an airliner? It's been done with a 4 engined Boeing 720 back in the day when American engineers were putting people on the Moon! Granted, an Airbus isn't going to let you do it, but I could easily imagine a 7 something something being easily barrel rolled. Dangerous of course, but given enough altitude I think the physics are bang on.
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
What, you can't barrel roll an airliner? It's been done with a 4 engined Boeing 720 back in the day when American engineers were putting people on the Moon! Granted, an Airbus isn't going to let you do it, but I could easily imagine a 7 something something being easily barrel rolled. Dangerous of course, but given enough altitude I think the physics are bang on.
Yes I know : YouTube - Boeing 707 barrel roll

But on my previously posted video, it is done too easily on a very low speed. The impression I had from the demo is that I can do whatever I want with the plane at any speed. I might be wrong though cos I was flying using my mouse with might give a hit to the realism.

I will just buy the game and see

btw, can I buy it online and download it ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« vertical lines of dead pixels on 17" screen | Macbook Pro booting with black screen »