New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook and Travel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macswitcha

Macswitcha is an unknown at this point

I am going to take fly out for the holidays and thinking of taking my macbook (the latest generation) and was wondering if it is safe to take it through the metal detectors? Should I by a sleeve for it or would they tell me to remove it?
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Macswitcha is an unknown at this point

I know this is not an exciting request but I do really need some advise traveling with an expensive product like the macbook through checking points and metal detectors.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I doubt the sleeve will do anything to protect it. Plus they will insist on checking it. I don't like other people touching my stuff with their dirty hands.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yes, they will ask that you remove it from the sleeve. Don't worry though, just put it on top of the sleeve in a separate box thingy and it'll be fine. I've taken my Macbook through several metal detectors (I've done a lot of flying this past year) and I have yet to experience any problems. I think there was only one time that a security officer checked the laptop, every other time I just picked it up at the other end and put it back in my bag and was on my way.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

It's actually an X-ray machine. Current airline regulations require you to take it out of whatever bag you're carrying it in and put it through the conveyor separately. It won't hurt your laptop a bit. In some countries you're required to start up your computer, but I don't think they're doing this anywhere in the USA.

Take whatever travel bag you use for your laptop. That's all you need.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The trouble with finding a car and airline adapter | how to format with broken screen? »