New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - closing the lid screen...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nab_04

nab_04 is on a distinguished road

I just bought my new macbook 2.4 and Im trying to adjust the settings, but having difficulty sleep option... this is my first time to use mac.

it goes on sleep mode every time I close down the screen lid, is this normal? can I change this setting?
QUOTE Thanks
zackplanet42

zackplanet42 is on a distinguished road

yes this is normal. the only way to fix it is by using a program such as insomniaX
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiNZ

KiwiNZ is on a distinguished road

This is actually a desirable behavior . I would not change it
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would bet that it gets hotter with the screen closed as to the reason for
sleep mode.
QUOTE Thanks
nab_04

thanks guys!! I installed the program and it runs perfectly...

but if I closed the screen will it be turned off? I really do NOT want my laptop to get overheated or worse....
QUOTE Thanks
ViriiGuy

ViriiGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd

If you do not wnat your laptop to get overheated, then do not have it running while the screen is closed. It does not matter if the screen is on or not, it can and will still overheat if you have it running witht he lid closed. The heat builds up around the keyboard and will damage your screen and likely your logic board.

Instead, turn off your screen and leave the lid open. That way it can vent properly and not cook your new laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

No, it's not going to overheat, stop telling him that. Apple designed the laptops so that they could be used with the lid closed when you have an external screen plugged in. If the company knew that doing so would result in serious damage to your laptop, the feature would not be there. The reason it goes to sleep when you close the lid has nothing to do with heat, it's just one of the design aspects of the laptop.

The only way heat could damage the laptop is if the only means of exhaust was through the keyboard and the sides were all sealed off. Since that's not the case, there is no cause of alarm for a heat buildup when running the laptop with the lid closed.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
walkum13

walkum13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
No, it's not going to overheat, stop telling him that. Apple designed the laptops so that they could be used with the lid closed when you have an external screen plugged in. If the company knew that doing so would result in serious damage to your laptop, the feature would not be there. The reason it goes to sleep when you close the lid has nothing to do with heat, it's just one of the design aspects of the laptop.

The only way heat could damage the laptop is if the only means of exhaust was through the keyboard and the sides were all sealed off. Since that's not the case, there is no cause of alarm for a heat buildup when running the laptop with the lid closed.
+1

A lot of people, once connected to their external display close their laptops lids so this is very common and I'm sure Apple has tested this. You can just turn the brightness to zero if you'd like ( I do this sometimes) but don't worry about overheating anything. The way the unibody works as a heat sink alleviates your heating problem as long as you have proper airflow. Just make sure it's not smothered by a pillow or under a blanket on your couch and you will be fine.

QUOTE Thanks
Jmurr187

Jmurr187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192

Is there any specific reason you want your computer on while the lid is closed?
I like putting it to sleep (closing the lid) because it gives it a rest for a little bit with out shutting down completely
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

I have the lid closed on my MacBook Pro right now and its hooked up to my 22inch external display, works great, been using it like this for a while now, no adverse affects whats so ever.
QUOTE Thanks
zackplanet42

zackplanet42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurr187 View Post
I like putting it to sleep (closing the lid) because it gives it a rest for a little bit with out shutting down completely
A lot of people, including myself, don't use their laptop at a desk. I use it on my lap like it was designed to. Often times I use it in bed and would like to go to sleep but have my laptop continue downloading a file or process something. Since i don't use it on a desk my only option is to put it carefully leaning against my wall next to my bed while it continues to do its thing.
As a side note i would like to say i have left my current pc laptop ( soon to be replaced by a unibody macbook pro) on almost 24/7 for over 4 years now and its still running as strong as it was on day one.
QUOTE Thanks
nab_04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurr187 View Post
actually Im downloading stuff all the time, and most of the time my laptop is on me, so when Im moving around the house I dont like to hold it open all the time. I always think that its going to fall down and break into 2 pieces... so its much better for me to close it (the lid) and then move around from living room to bed room etc.... insomnia saved my life!!! ))
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackplanet42 View Post
I use it on my lap like it was designed to.
Contrary to popular use and belief, Apple notebooks are not designed to be used on a person's lap (or a pillow, lying in bed, hanging upside-down on the swingset...etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Do not place your MacBook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn.
Important: Do not place your MacBook on a pillow or other soft material when it's powered on, as the material can block the airflow vents (in particular, the rear vents) and cause the computer to overheat.
The bottom of the MacBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.
Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
nab_04

small question though, if I installed insomniaX and closed down the lid, will the screen be turned off? or will it still be turned on?
do I need to turn it off by clicking down the brightness level until it blacks out?
QUOTE Thanks
amrk48

amrk48 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Contrary to popular use and belief, Apple notebooks are not designed to be used on a person's lap (or a pillow, lying in bed, hanging upside-down on the swingset...etc)

Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling

shutup man

everyone uses their laptop on their lap
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem recognizing DVD -R media | Every Notebook Owner's Worst Nightmare »