New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Help with PowerBook G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlabamaDan

AlabamaDan is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. I've been searching around and can't find exactly the answer to my question and I've tried everything I can think of. I have an old PowerBook G4, which I love (or loved) and it has everything on it. But, it's gotten to the point where it crashes all the time. Sometimes it crashes during startup. Sometimes it will run for a few mins, then crash. When I say crash I mean freeze up. I've run disk utility on it, hooked it up to a MacBook and run it from there using the G4 as a target drive etc. Anyone got any ideas? The details are:

Silver PowerBook G4
Mac OS X
Version 10.4.11
1.25 GHz PowerPC G4
512 MB DDR SDRAM
17.93 GB space available on HD

I really need to get it up and running because frequently my wife and I fight over who "needs" the MacBook more at the same moment in time. Besides, until this it was running great and has lots of stuff on it I want to save.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Why don't you just back up all of your important information to the MacBook and just do a clean install.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
AlabamaDan

AlabamaDan is on a distinguished road

How would I do that? Sounds like a fresh start would work, but I'm afraid to lose stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
tcphoto

tcphoto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP

If you have run disk utility and repaired permissions without a problem, I would run Time Machine and then wipe the drive and reinstall your OS. Otherwise, the cycle will only continue and where does that get you? An appointment at a Genius Bar is the next step and that may result in a repair bill.

www.tcphoto.org
http://web.mac.com/tcphoto1/Fashion/Fashion.html
Unibody MBP, iPhone, Canon 1DsII, Profoto and most important, Imagination!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting rid of Black Mark | Late 2007 MacBook w/ x3100, still no drivers? »