New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - how to format with broken screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bieber

bieber is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

Due to an unfortunate accident involving orange juice, my screen on my iBook stopped working. I didn't want to fix it so I bought a new MacBook. Now, I really want to sell my old iBook on ebay.

I need to figure out how I can format the iBook HD without a working screen before selling it. Has anyone an idea?

I tried to hook up an external Display already, but it doesn't work either.

DANKE!
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Your best bet would be to get an external HD enclosure (don't worry, they aren't that expensive) to format your ibook's hard drive on a working computer before you sell it.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
Wman

Wman is on a distinguished road

that's what I did. It basically turns your iBook's hard disk into an external hard disk, with FW or USB, for another computer. They're around twenty to thirty bucks.

Have no fear. Wman is here!...or something...
QUOTE Thanks
bieber

bieber is on a distinguished road

THX, but somehow I don't get it. I've never heard of such thing. So I hook it up to my iBook with USB or FW and then another cable to my Macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
jneb802

jneb802 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano

u no the same thing hapened to me but just with a speaker falling on it and im using an external display right now and im getting it fixed for 250 witch isnt that much small dog will fix it for 300 i think but if u look around in ur area im sure u can find a mac repair man and he can do it for cheap
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieber View Post
THX, but somehow I don't get it. I've never heard of such thing. So I hook it up to my iBook with USB or FW and then another cable to my Macbook?
It's a cheap way to turn your computers internal HD into an external HD you can plug into any computer. Normally used when a computer goes down and the HD is still good with data on it you need (or the need to format the disk.) Here's how:

1.) Remove your ibook's HD. Look in the manual for instructions on how to do this. If you don't have your manual, look at Apple's support website, they should have a copy.

2.) Follow the directions to install your drive in a compatible enclosure. (any computer store or online for $20 to $30.) Be sure to purchase one with identical specifications to whatever HD type your ibook uses (i.e. 2.5" SATA; check your owner's manual to be sure!)

3.) Plug the enclosure into a working computer, using its USB or FW cable.

4.) Transfer data and/or format drive

5.) Re-install drive in ibook, as desired.

6.) Enjoy!

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook and Travel | Model # »