New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Overclocking

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zackplanet42

zackplanet42 is on a distinguished road

Well first off my friend has a laptop with the same 9600m card that the macbook pro has and he has been overclocking his to stock 9700m speeds with no ill efects as of yet. My question is since I am getting new unibody macbook pro in about a week, has anyone had any luck overcloking the new macbooks? Any comments or recomendations? Im not quite comfortable overclocking it as high as my friend did but it think a reasonable overclocking can be very advantageous.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackplanet42 View Post
overclocking can be very advantageous.
And highly dangerous to your laptop. Think of how hot a MacBook gets regardless of overclocking it or not - pretty darn hot. Add in the fact you're making the processor now work even harder which would mean either A. You're going to fry the logic board or B. You decided to somehow add an additional fan to cool the logic board off.

The only time I would EVER overclock a computer is if it was a desktop.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

I really second what Jaguar said. Unless you plan on adding cooling which is crazy I wouldn't be a good idea at all. Why do you need the power anyway? The mbp has a great set of cards in them. I don't think you need it anyway.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
DriftNut56

DriftNut56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O View Post
I really second what Jaguar said. Unless you plan on adding cooling which is crazy I wouldn't be a good idea at all. Why do you need the power anyway? The mbp has a great set of cards in them. I don't think you need it anyway.
Unfortunately, I am going to have to say that both of you are wrong. The MacBook Pro is greatly under clocked to the degree that the processor is working hard as a result of it. I have succesfully overclocke my MacBook Pro and I have noticed that the processors (and entire system in general) is running cooler. The fans do not ramp up as much as they used to. Just to make things clear by the way, the game I have used to test my findings is Crysis and Crysis: Warhead. Resolution 1024x768, and everything set to medium/mainstream including motion blur except for the first Crysis.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Interesting. How did you go about doing that?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

I just don't understand why people feel the need to potentially damage their computer, only to squeeze an insignificant additional amount of performance out of it.

Then, if something does go wrong, these are the same people who will take their fried MacBook back to Apple (or laptop back to Dell...whatever) saying "I don't know what happened. It got really hot and then shut down and now it won't boot".
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I overclocked a Mac once, but only after it was well out of warranty.

I overclocked an LC 475 from 25 Mhz to a dizzying 33 Mhz (it died a year later)

Apple Macintosh LC 475 Specs @ EveryMac.com

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris View Post
I just don't understand why people feel the need to potentially damage their computer, only to squeeze an insignificant additional amount of performance out of it.

Then, if something does go wrong, these are the same people who will take their fried MacBook back to Apple (or laptop back to Dell...whatever) saying "I don't know what happened. It got really hot and then shut down and now it won't boot".
It is often not an insignificant amount. I spent many years o/c'g my desktop rigs. I have a P4 3.2 Ghz, overclocked to just under 4 Ghz that is now 5 years old and still runs like a champ. The ATI card also is o/c'd more than 25%. Of course there were precautions, proper motherboard, upgraded heat sinks, fans, high end memory that could take the upped voltage, etc. My o/c on that machine reduced my video encode times by greater than 25%. This was a very significant amount of time to me when I was doing multiple encodes a day.

But, I don't believe I'll be overclocking my notebook. At least not until this one becomes my back up computer.

I am with cwa though, would like to know how you overclocked DriftNut. Am sure I'll want to give it a try at some point.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

My comment was pertaining to overclocking a laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
DriftNut56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
It is often not an insignificant amount. I spent many years o/c'g my desktop rigs. I have a P4 3.2 Ghz, overclocked to just under 4 Ghz that is now 5 years old and still runs like a champ. The ATI card also is o/c'd more than 25%. Of course there were precautions, proper motherboard, upgraded heat sinks, fans, high end memory that could take the upped voltage, etc. My o/c on that machine reduced my video encode times by greater than 25%. This was a very significant amount of time to me when I was doing multiple encodes a day.

But, I don't believe I'll be overclocking my notebook. At least not until this one becomes my back up computer.

I am with cwa though, would like to know how you overclocked DriftNut. Am sure I'll want to give it a try at some point.
Just to clarify, the overclock that I did was on the graphics card. A 2.4 ghz processor is more than enough for me plus apple has the motherboard locked down good an tight. I did the overclock in windows xp using a program called riva tuner to do a driver level over clock. I chose driver level because it doesn't affect the state of my warranty. It's been a while since I done it but I believe the clock speeds were 575/1050/701 - core clock/shader clock/VRAM respectfully.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftNut56 View Post
Just to clarify, the overclock that I did was on the graphics card. A 2.4 ghz processor is more than enough for me plus apple has the motherboard locked down good an tight. I did the overclock in windows xp using a program called riva tuner to do a driver level over clock. I chose driver level because it doesn't affect the state of my warranty. It's been a while since I done it but I believe the clock speeds were 575/1050/701 - core clock/shader clock/VRAM respectfully.
OK, is that an ATI chip? I know I'd be really hesitant to do it on one of the 8600GT-powered MacBook Pros, especially in light of the defects known to exist with those chips. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is purposely underclocking them just to reduce the failure rate.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
DriftNut56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
OK, is that an ATI chip? I know I'd be really hesitant to do it on one of the 8600GT-powered MacBook Pros, especially in light of the defects known to exist with those chips. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is purposely underclocking them just to reduce the failure rate.
This will shock you then because it was the 8600 GT. I got the latest MacBook pro before they rolled out the Unibody Mac. And, I never really heard about the defects, which is surprising considering at the time that I bought it I was working at Best Buy.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I know the ATI in my MBP is under clocked after doing some checking right after getting it. Wouldn't be surprised if most graphics cards were.

Apple wouldn't be the first, nor only manufacturer to do it. When I was doing support for Dell (many moons ago now), pretty much all ATI cards were under clocked. They were also proprietary to Dell (e.g. they were not the same card as the one you would buy retail, that's one of the ways they kept the cost down). You couldn't even use the drivers from ATI with them, you had to use Dell's (at least for support and if you wanted the card functioning properly).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftNut56 View Post
This will shock you then because it was the 8600 GT. I got the latest MacBook pro before they rolled out the Unibody Mac. And, I never really heard about the defects, which is surprising considering at the time that I bought it I was working at Best Buy.
Just be careful - not sure if you saw this:

Apple to repair MacBooks with faulty Nvidia GPUs | Apple - CNET News

QUOTE Thanks
DriftNut56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I know the ATI in my MBP is under clocked after doing some checking right after getting it. Wouldn't be surprised if most graphics cards were.

Apple wouldn't be the first, nor only manufacturer to do it. When I was doing support for Dell (many moons ago now), pretty much all ATI cards were under clocked. They were also proprietary to Dell (e.g. they were not the same card as the one you would buy retail, that's one of the ways they kept the cost down). You couldn't even use the drivers from ATI with them, you had to use Dell's (at least for support and if you wanted the card functioning properly).
Every manufacturer of laptops to date, besides the higher-end companies like Alienware, under-clock their graphics cards. The difference is that Apple has reduced the default clock speed on the MacBook Pro to 350 MHz where as similar other laptops have only been reduced to 470 MHz. The fact that I chose increase my clock speed just a little more than that (575) is my own choice, but to increase it to 470 MHz is perfectly safe; and like I said before it actually helped my computer in the long run.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will this harddrive fit my macbook? | Black Book and New Aluminum Macbook and When to buy? »